Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antartian Login/Join

posted
I have seen this word several times and cannot find it in any of my dictionaries. It's always associated with a "blond" joke and has referred to either gender. It has been suggested to me that the word comes from the star, Antares. That doesn't make sense to me because the star is named for a Greek god of war and is the brightest star in Scorpoi. Any suggestions?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of "Antartian", and did some Googling. This site, under the heading "Definitions of politically correct joke terminology:" says "Antartican represents those who live in ignorance when knowledge is available". My guess is that it is an attempt to make the old English/Irishman, American/Pole, Irish/Kerryman jokes more politically correct. Whereas the originals take a nearby country/place/race as the butt of the jokes, the PC version transfers them to Antarctica, where (next to) nobody actually lives, thus avoiding offending minorities. Note the use sometimes of "Antartican", which makes the origin somewhat clearer.

ajokeaday.com has 80 Antartian jokes.

Antares is not named directly after Ares, the Greek god of war. Its name comes from anti-, meaning rival of, and Ares, the planet Mars. It was so named because it is so bright and has the same colour as Mars. cool

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
arnie's news is new to me. While he was googling Antartian,, I was googling Antarian as a possible reference to the star Antares.

The latter seems to be a name from science fiction, as in the Star Trek IV series. Also, as best I can tell the aliens in the TV show Roswell are supposed to be Antarians from the planet Antar. Must admit that though the findings were voluminous, they seemed incomprehensible to this poor befuddled brain.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"the aliens in the TV show Roswell are supposed to be Antarians."

There is someone named Antar in Rusian folklore. I know of him only through one of Rimsky-Korsakoff's two symphonies, which is entitled, "Antar.". Anyone know more, or do I have to go and Google (or Teoma) it myself?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quidnunc asked about the word "antartian"

arnie mentions "antartican" but gives a link to "antartian" jokes

astral mentions "antarian"

and all these words sound close to "antarctican"

Do we have typos here, or are they four distinct words? roll eyes

posted Hide Post
Sorry, my knowledge on this subject is extremely limited. But my knowledge of Star Trek is vast!

Astral, you say: "Antarian...seems to be a name from science fiction, as in the Star Trek IV series." I don't know what you are referring to as the Star Trek IV series, but in the original Star Trek series, there is a reference to Antarean glow water in the episode "The Trouble With Tribbles". They also mention Antarean brandy in another classic Star Trek episode.

So, now we have yet another possible spelling!

As another Star Trek aside, there was a ship mentioned in the classic Star Trek named "Astral Queen"! razz

And my last point of business here (I know, not soon enough wink) Welcome quidnunc! Hope to see many more posts from you!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quidnunc, is there a meaning behind your name?

Seems vaguely familiar. I know I could look it up, but the honor should be yours.

posted Hide Post
quidnunc is Latin
means 'what's new'

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
So your name quidnuic is an apt self-description as you join us smile Very clever:cool: Welcome aboard!

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
quidnunc is Latin
means 'what's new'

Hmm... A better translation would be "what now".

My great standby Dictionary.com gives "A nosy person; a busybody." (American Heritage Dictionary) and "One who is curious to know everything that passes; one who knows, or pretends to know, all that is going on." (Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary wink

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been corrected. It is what now.
I'm also very curious. Maybe a busybody.
and thanks for the welcome.
It's nice to know there are others who are polysyllabic.