Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scytala or Scytale Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
A friend came across this word while reading, and I was intrigued. I've seen it spelled both ways, though onelook spells it "scytale". It was a cryptographic device so that when wrapped about a special rod, a thong of leather, perhaps a quarter of an inch wide, had letters written horizontally down the shaft for a message, which could not be read except by Spartans overseas with an identical rod.

Does anyone know anything more about this device? What are other cryptographic devices?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
When I was a kid there were "secret decoder rings" packaged in cereal boxes. They tasted better than the cereal. Then there was the famous German Enigma machine, and the Native American code talkers, about whom a bad movie was recently made.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Asa, I remember those rings! And, then there was the white print with the special decoder that you had to use.

In googling around for to find out more about this instrument, I came across an Edgar Allen Poe essay about it. I though Jerry would be interested in that!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Kalleh!!!

How could you have known that I failed to receive my usual monthly copy of Graham's Magazine, in July 1841? Thanks to you, I am now cognizant of the essay's contents, and that clears up a lot of mysteries.

Thank you.

~~~ jerry Cool

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post