Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    A calque/borrowing I have always wondered about.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A calque/borrowing I have always wondered about. Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
A comment in another thread reminded me a a calque/borrowing/Anglicising (you will understand my confusion in a moment) that I have often wondered about is shown by these words

French - Dent de Lion (literally, lion's tooth)
English - Dandelion (Anglicised borrowing?)
German - Löwenzahn (literally lion's tooth)
Spanish - diente de leon (literally lion's tooth)

My question has always been about which is the older word and what was the direction of travel. Is the German a calque of the French or vice versa. The English is clearly an Anglicised version of the French.

There is, however, another calque involved as a second French word for the same thing is "pissenlit" - literally "piss the bed" and in some parts of England "piss the bed" is a slang term for dandelion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't think how "pissenlit" is a calqque, but the others are clearly related. Only the mis-hearing of "dent de lion" is not obvious.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Pissenlit literally means piss the bed which is one of the names used for dandelion in England

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Dandelion

I think the German, French, and English (as well as Welsh et al) are all calques of the Late Latin term dēns leōnis (lions tooth).

I think that English pissabed is a loan translation of the French.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Apparently "pissabed" refers to the diuretic effect of the flower.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post