Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New word list Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I found this new word list for the OED. Some of them surprise me. For example, we have been doing "head-to-toe" assessments in nursing for many years. Or - "headstand?" What are your thoughts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Apparently you have no thoughts. Wink

We are hearing the word "fracking" a lot here in the U.S. now so I thought that would soon join the word lists. Is it as popular in the UK as it is here?

posted Hide Post
One of the words is "smeg", and when I look it up I see 2 citations from Red Dwarf.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And - this is the OED we are talking about.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Presumably, the OED has criteria for why and when to update its contents (link). I would suppose they are under the control of the editor(s) and some committee.

Smeg is under the new senses list. I think I have heard it used outside its Red Dwarf context recently but haven't the time or the inclination to research it. FWIW, I have heard smeg used in its RD sense more often than I heard the e-word used in its sole sense.

And, no matter, the OED is one grand dictionary.

[Corrected typo and removed redundancy.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Agreed, z. I must have been tired when I wrote that. And I know from Shu's work with them (voluntary) that they try very hard to verify the first uses of words.