Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Mirriam Webster's Word of the Year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mirriam Webster's Word of the Year Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Mirriam Webster Inc. has announced its top ten words of the year for 2013. This year's list was compiled by analyzing the lookups in the online dictionary at Mirriam-Webster.com, focusing on the word with the greatest increase in lookups.

Question:
Which one of the following words, based on 100 million lookups in a month, shows the most increased interest in 2013?

Choices:
Collaboration
Elicit
Science
Fragrance

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Can we have more than one vote?

posted Hide Post
Are you trying to elicit collaboration in the science of fragrance? What is the purpose of the poll if they've already announced what it is?

As usual, clueless Geoff Confused

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Smile

The purpose of the poll is to see what you think. I,and the article citing it, was surprised. Of course, if people have read about it already, I am presuming they wouldn't vote.

By the way, I thought of another good word of the year - at least for the US: cloture Can't say I've heard that used as much as I have this year!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Maybe they are just words that people are uncertain how to spell.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, there are three votes - and the winner is indeed science. Why do you think that is?

<Proofreader>
posted
From an ABC news report about annoying words of the year:

A Michigan university has issued its annual list of annoying words.

"Selfie," a term that describes a self-taken photo, often from a smartphone, led the way
among the more than 2,000 nominations submitted to Lake Superior State University's 39th annual batch of words to banish due to overuse, overreliance and overall fatigue.

"Twerk" or "twerking," a sexually provocative way of dancing, found a dominant.

"Hashtag" refers to a word or phrase with no spaces preceded by the pound sign on the microblogging website Twitter.

Others on the banned list include "Twittersphere," ''t-bone," ''Obamacare" ''intellectually/morally bankrupt" and anything "on steroids." People also tired of the suffixes "-pocalypse" and "-ageddon" used to make words such as "snow-pocalypse" or "ice-ageddon."

And enough already with "Mr. Mom," a reference to fathers who take care of kids.

"Adversity" and "fan base" — terms often used when discussing sports — got booed.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I saw that, too, Proof. Some I understand, but for heaven's sake what is wrong with good old adversity?

posted Hide Post
Overuse and/or inappropriate use.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Perhaps in the sports realm, there should be a test before former athletes get hired to do color commentary. During the recent football season, one announcer constantly mentioned how a powerful back "drug" his opponents downfield.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Adversity doesn't seem overused to me.

In sports, however, I agree there are overused terms, such as "step it up."