Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quantity versus Quality Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We, in the U.S. keep hearing about Bush's 16 words. Now, I truly don't intend this to be a political post. However, I have heard some interesting commentary today on NPR about the importance of the number or words used. Bush supporters keep saying, "It was only 16 words", yet this commentary gave several examples of 16 words in other contexts.

Bush's 16 words: "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

Clinton's 9 words: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

Declaration of Independence 14 words: We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..."

Other examples? Seems to me that it is quality, not quantity. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
... though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death I will fear no evil...

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Et tu, Brute?

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. (Neil Armstrong)

We have nothing to fear but fear itself.(FDR)

Reality: Wow, what a concept! (Robin Williams)

E=MC squared. (Einstein)

OWWWWWW! Where's the f#@%*g light switch! (Asa Lovejoy)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. (Neil Armstrong)

Do we want to branch this thread out into a discussion regarding how one tiny word can alter the meaning of a (in this case famous) quotation?

The immortal first words spoken by a human being standing on the surface of the moon (as apposed to the absolute first words "Houston, this is Tranquility Base. The Eagle has landed." as spoken from within the capsule immediately after touchdown) were supposed to be "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." This, when you think of it, makes sense. Armstrong's delivery absolutely doesn't since "man" (not a man) and "mankind" mean the same thing.

NASA, I am ashamed to say, has had the audacity to go on record stating that the "a" was there but was knocked out by static. Nonsense! Armstrong simply blew his line and I for one think it was wonderful that he did so. Billions of dollars to accomplish this astounding feat and the first thing he does on the moon is make a mistake! How utterly and charmingly human!

Along similar lines, what John Kennedy meant to say was "Eich ben Berliner" (forgive the spelling if faulty; German is not my long suit.) or "I am a resident of Berlin." What he did say, with the article included, "Eich ben ein Berliner" translates to "I am a jelly doughnut" which, obviously, caused more than a few German smiles but, in each case, we all understood what they meant to say and that is what they are remembered for.

Still, in regards to quality vs. quantity, it's important to keep in mind that it's entirely possible to totally screw up your quality if the quantity of your words is off even by a single syllable.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ, how fascinating. I had never heard the Neil Armstrong story.

As for the Kennedy story, recall this post awhile back about the atomic bomb possibly being used because of a poor translator.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
What, me worry? Alfred E. Newman

I am not a crook. Richard Nixon

Give me Liberty, and give me debt. A new small Jeep owner
Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I know not what drugs others may take, but as for me, give me Librium or give me Meth! -- Jefferson Thomas