Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Does this sentence sound right to anyone ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does this sentence sound right to anyone ? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
From my local paper tonight.

quote:
Winds are now not expected to reach a mere 110 mph.

Also from the same article about Hurricane Isabel, another strange use of "ironic".

quote:
Ironically the warnings have come from the stunning pictures from space of the majesty of Hurricane Isabel.

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 150 | Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bear, you are a man of few words! Big Grin

I don't even understand the meaning of the first sentence. Does it mean the winds are now supposed to be more than 110, since mere means "small or slight"? Yet, by context (with the word "now") one might think it means now they aren't expected to reach as high as 110 mph. However, remember, I am a real literalist, so this type of sentence confuses me. Confused

Now, for the second, maybe ironic is used because of the comparison of devastation with the looks of majesty in space? Yet, it is clearly an awkward sentence.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
My suspicion is that, in the first sentence - eben though it's short - the writer has lost track of how he started before he finished.
He started to write

"Winds are not expected to reach 110mph."

but changed his mind to

"Winds are expected to reach a mere 110mph."

and somehow ended up muddling the two together.

As for the second sentence it's almost certain to be another of the plentiful misuses of a word that seems to give so many people so much trouble.

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

posted Hide Post
The winds had previously been 160 miles per hour. Could it be then that the reference to a "mere" 110 mph was ironic? Unfortunately, I can't find the article itself.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
The winds had previously been 160 miles per hour. Could it be then that the reference to a "mere" 110 mph was ironic? Unfortunately, I can't find the article itself.

The problem is with the combination of "not expected to" and "a mere", an unusual word combination to say the least.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to look up George Carlin's take on this and post it here. The non-ironic-reported-as-ironic is a major gripe with him and he has written about it clearly and devastatingly funnily.

(No comments, please, on how awkward "funnily" may strike you. It's a legitimate, if not euphonious, word.)

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I do plan to comment on "funnily." I did not think it legitimate, but, funnily, you're right. It sounds like a coinage to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post