Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Italian word "reddendo" Login/Join

posted
I have been reading a book on the history of the Clan Campbell and this word keeps popping up. Here is an example:

"Another undated charter covers much of the same ground. Again by John Lord of Menteith to Gillespic Campbell, it gives the lands as those of Castle Sween, Apenad, Barmore in Danna, Ulva, Dallicheliche, Strondour and Dissaig, all in Knapdale. The reddendo was a pair of white gloves at Martinmas if required."

Here's another example:
"In 1293 he received or acquired from Sir William Lindsay the lands of Symontoun--Symington--in Ayrshire, paying rent to the monks of New Battle who now have the superiority. That year he made a gift to the same Abbey and also handed over a reddendo due for the lands of Symington."

I looked up reddendo with a simple Google search and found an entry in Wiktionary which identifies it as an Italian word, the gerund of reddere, which means "to give back or return".

I'm guessing that in the two examples, reddendo sort of means "payment" or "compensation", but I could be way off. Can anyone shed light on this?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
While it is an Italian word also, it's in this case a Latin one. Reddendo is a feudal term; it is the duty owed by a vassal to his lord.

[Addendum: It seems to have been mainly a Scottish legal term. I found an example (link).
quote:
Tenendas de nobis et successoribus nostris in Liberam baroniam cum guardia Reddendo servicium forinsecum et fidelitatem. (translation "To be held of us in free Barony with ward to render foreign service and fidelity.")
]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks!!! :-D I'm glad to finally know what it means!

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
The meaning z gives is an alternate meaning. The other sense, which is earlier, is "the clause in a charter which specifies the duty to be paid to the superior" (OED).

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post