Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feisty Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Here's a language question that came up because of the current Tory leadership contest. Ben Wallace, the Defence Secretary, said he is supporting Liz Truss because she is "feisty". Do people view this as a positive statement? To me "feisty" here has the implication of "hasn't the little lady done well". It's a term that is almost exclusively associated with putting people down - usually women but also other groups perceived as weaker than the good strong men. To me the word feisty screams "patronising", Or am I wrong?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the word, "feist" originally meant a small dog such as a terrier. Little, but aggressive and tenacious. Make your this what you will.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm getting some interesting answers. Cat (the British one who used to occasionally post here) replied on FB and agrees with my assessment of the word but someone on a FB group suggested that it's nothing but complimentary. My feeling is that you wouldn't use it for anyone you expected to win. It's the sort of word you use when a kid tries to fight an adult but can be held off with just a hand on the forehead. "Feisty little feller ain't he". I always see it as an underdog putting up a brave but ineffective fight.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I've only occasionally heard it in the context that the person is putting up a good fight but can't possibly win [i.e. in a contest]. But definitely used for someone you would have expected to be timid-- or less pugnacious, or less argumentative-- due to small stature, or young age, or the person is usually reticent.

HOWEVER: now that I think about it... It strikes me this could be insulting for a male, but admiring for a female! Probably because of the association with small, as Geoff suggests. I find two of the synonyms listed for "feisty" have similar overtones: "scrappy" and "spunky."

Check out etymonline.com for this one: hilarious! Apparently the small dog bit descended from much earlier words meaning "fart." It became a slang word in early 19thC US meaning small fart... and the association: old ladies blaming their SBD's on their lap dogs!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I remember the Dog Whisperer (Cesar Millan) used to advise clients with small aggressive dogs to stop carrying them around. They get an outsized alpha dog ego from looking down on other dogs, and small children.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
I remember the Dog Whisperer (Cesar Millan) used to advise clients with small aggressive dogs to stop carrying them around.
And one wouldn't have to smell their farts quite as much.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me the word feisty screams "patronising", Or am I wrong?

I consider it a negative word, particularly when used with women. "Women have the nerve to be assertive" is what it means to me. I'd certainly not use it as a preference for a candidate.

It is interesting how people's interpretation of words vary.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post