New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compumation Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
What do we think of this coinage?
    "Over time, the computers in Robert Beanland's office began to take oven the work he and his fellow statistical analysts did – processing information, crunching the numbers, composing spreadsheets. At first, Beanland's department had six employees, then five, four, then two. He and the other survivor finally got pink slips about two years ago. He's a victim of a trend you might call 'compumation.' Compumation is like automation, but instead of industrial machinery that's taking away your job, it's digital technology."
    (Reader's Digest, Sept. 2004)

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Compumation is like automation, but instead of industrial machinery that's taking away your job, it's digital technology."
I fail to see any need for it. Computers are still machines, so "automation" works just as well.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Just kind of silly.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know. I kind of like it. We are always looking for that specific word. Besides, it is very close to one of my favorite words: "compunction."

I was so excited, I just used "compunction" in a limerick to rhyme with "function;" however, the other part of the rhyme I couldn't think of, so I used "hunks ti' shun" (you had to be there to get it; really it worked. Roll Eyes)

However, I don't think it's going to meet CJ's strict rhyming rules! Wink

[Flight of ideas, I know!]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Junction? Unction?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I was made redundant from a previous job working in a bank because computers became more "intelligent" and many of the tasks prevously carried out by middle-managers like me were automated. Notice I say "automated", not "compumated".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
He's a victim of a trend you might call '_compumation_.' Compumation is like automation, but instead of industrial machinery that's taking away your job, it's digital technology"
(Reader's Digest, Sept. 2004)

Welllll, since "digital" refers to fingers, does this mean that machines are giving him the finger? Eek

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Where I work, we are "harnessing the power of customer self-service" rather than compumating anything. One of my staff, a few weeks ago, actually had a customer using the self-serve check-out machines turn to her and say "that's your pink slip right there, honey!" Of course, type-writers were supposed to make secretaries obsolete . . .

Hmmm - compumating - that sounds like something entirely different!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Caterwauller! Smile Big Grin Wink Cool Another woman!!! And, I love it too when someone actually posts a profile. Yours is so interesting. Three "geeks" in one family! Big Grin

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome, Kalleh! I find myself wanting to set the goal for posting more often than you someday! Problem is, I'm heading back to work soon (I've been recovering from surgery) and I'll have to find a way to . .. umm . . . compumate my work enough to be able to play more???

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller (on her profile):
... long slow wet kisses that last 3 days . . .

Wow, that must be some kiss! That's a new record!

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I find myself wanting to set the goal for posting more often than you someday!

You should have joined us yesterday. I didn't post at all!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Actually, Tinman, that is from Bull Durham, a line given by Kevin Costner. I've always appreciated the sentiment.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, I'm going to work on getting to know how it all works around here for now, and as I have time I'll compete for most posts. I've been laughing so hard today my abdominal muscles are crying out for mercy!!! I really can't tell you how much I wish I'd found this site a month ago!

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Good to have you aboard! Now we've got a well-behaved Cat in the UK and a fussy Cat in the US! Wink

I take it you're a librarian? Two of the "Great Loves of My Life," including my present girl friend, were/are librarians, so I'm bound to like you!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Good to have you aboard! Now we've got a well-behaved Cat in the UK and a fussy Cat in the US! Wink

I take it you're a librarian? Two of the "Great Loves of My Life," including my present girl friend, were/are librarians, so I'm bound to like you!

Fussy? Say it isn't so! When I was recruited (convinced, cajoled, not quite coerced) into going to grad school for my MLS, they assured me that being gregarious and witty (a.k.a. loud and obnoxious) would not be a hindrance.

" . . . bound to like . . ." is that a book joke?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Oh - and thank you all, really, for the great welcoming messages!

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:

Fussy? Say it isn't so! When I was recruited (convinced, cajoled, not quite coerced) into going to grad school for my MLS, they assured me that being gregarious and witty (a.k.a. loud and obnoxious) would not be a hindrance.

I took "Caterwauler" to mean "fussing," as used by Southerners, as in "A-fussin' and a-fumin'."

quote:
" . . . bound to like . . ." is that a book joke?

Since you're married and I'm significantly involved, I think we can rule out its being an invitation to enjoy some kinky stuff! I just don't have the spine for it! Big Grin

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
'Round these parts, caterwauller generally refers to one who is screeching like a cat (either fighting or during coitus - the cat, not the person . . . well, maybe the person,too.) In my case it was a "catty" remark about my singing (totally inaccurate, as well <ahem!>Wink.

As far as our attached states, I quite agree. Regardless of the state of your spine, my caterwaulling makes it difficult to be discreet. <evil grin> Is that too much info?

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:

Well-behaved? Oh dear, I'm obviously not trying hard enough... Wink

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Come along, Cat, let's BOTH misbehave!

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
Come along, Cat, let's BOTH misbehave!

You can't "mis" behave; you're married! Mrsbehave or Msbehave if you will!

Jammerkatz, you've really livened up the board! Good show! Now, what was that song about its being a very very very fine house, with two cats in the yard...?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
AAhhhhh - good ole' Cole Porter.

I'll choose Msbehave . . . suits me just fine.

As Master Porter wrote:
We're all alone; no chaperone can get our number
The world's in slumber, let's misbehave.

Nuthin like a little caterwaullin to wake up the neighbors!

I like the song you reference, as well!

~Dalai Lama