Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Interesting miscommunication
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting miscommunication Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We had a meeting where about 1/3 of our people were involved. It was held in Chicago. It was announced, before the meeting, that the meeting would end at 12:00 - we were "done," was the communication.

So - how would you take that? By "done" would you think you could go home at 12:00 noon? Or would you think that the meeting was over, but you should go back to your office?

I'll let you respond and then tell you what happened.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah well - no response so I'll tell you what happened.

Most of the people went home. I went back to my office because to me "done" meant done with the meeting, not done for the day. A few others stayed in the office as well, but most enjoyed our gorgeous Friday afternoon.

We learned that the original message had meant "done for the day."

posted Hide Post
I would have asked the head honcho what it meant, but would have asumed, as did you, that the meeting was over at noon, not the work day.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'd assume as you did

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I would have taken whatever course would result in the least amount of energy exerted for the most amount of pay. I can guarantee not one of my many bosses would doubt the veracity of that statement.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The funny part is, not all the big honchos agreed on what was meant - so, Geoff, even asking them wouldn't have helped. The head, head honcho did mean we could go home, though.

The problem was, there were others back in our office who didn't attend the meeting, and they had to stay until 5:00.