Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anorak Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
An English pen pal from a model aircraft site referred to himself as "an anorak." From the context it was clear that he was calling himself compulsive or fanatical, but I don't understand how you English get such a meaning from a coat or parka. Explain, please!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following is from yourdictionary.com. The definition is what I expected, but some of the usage examples didn't make sense to me.

quote:
anorak Definition

ano·rak (an′ə rak′)

noun

a heavy jacket with a hood, worn in the cold north

Etymology: Esk (Greenland) ánorâq

anorak Usage Examples

Converse of object

* wear: He appeared to be wearing a dark colored anorak which had fallen open.
* have: I had an anorak with a button at its throat; it made a cape that was the envy of the playground.
* don: They don an anorak, and are briefed as to their mission.
* buy: Other grad says she will buy an anorak for me.

Adjective modifier

* sad: I am a " sad anorak " because I quite enjoy EuroVision.
* political: These are not just the concerns of political anoraks.
* blue: A Bee-fly settled briefly on the blue anorak I was wearing.
* real: I'm a real anorak for film, I will watch anything.
* other: For other anoraks, here is the organ's specification.
* black: He is believed to have been wearing a black, zip-up anorak, pale trousers and brown shoes.

Modifies a noun

* connection: Anorak Connections: Director Terence Fisher also directed Hammer's Dracula, Prince of Darkness ( 1965 ) which also starred Christopher Lee.
* corner: For more detailed info have a look in anorak corner.
* hood: Walter tugged down his anorak hood and looked up at the sky.
* wearer: Unless you are already a qualified anorak wearer, GET SOME HELP!
* style: He was wearing a black anorak style hooded top with a red front and silver reflective piping.

Noun used with modifier

* wine: Welcome to the wine anorak, one of the most interesting and comprehensive wine resources on the web... www.wineanorak.com Stormhoek: .. .
* bus: Oh dear, I'm almost beginning to feel sorry for the bus anoraks now.
* computer: Thus the computer anorak may well be totally fascinating to other computer anoraks.
* caff: Plus, for caff anoraks, the very same elegant patterned cup n ' saucer sets used by the mighty Alpino in Islington.
* Internet: Now I must proudly declare my interest as a trustee of Wessex Archeology - and an internet anorak.

Then I looked at the OED Online. It gave a second, slang, definition.
quote:
anorak, n.

Add: 2. slang (derog.). A boring, studious, or socially inept young person (caricatured as typically wearing an anorak), esp. one who pursues an unfashionable and solitary interest with obsessive dedication. Also attrib.

1984 Observer 5 Aug. 5/3 At weekends boatloads of Dutch ‘anoraks’{em}pirate radio fans{em}come out to cheer on their latest hero.
1988 in T. THORNE Dict. Contemp. Slang (1991) 10 An anorak is one of those boring gits who sit at the front of every lecture with their Pringle jumpers asking the lecturer their clever questions.
1991 Independent 14 Nov. 26/3 Enthusiasts who hang around the radio station, anxious to fetch and carry, answer phones, and do any amount of unpaid work simply to be involved..[are] sometimes disparagingly referred to as ‘anoraks’.
1991 Straight no Chaser Winter 11/3 A guide to over three thousand blues records. Essential for scribblers and anoraks.
1993 Personal Computer World Apr. 390/2 The one difficult part of Demon's system is the software, which, while inexpensive and reliable once you've got it going, is archetypal anorak software.
1995 J. MILLER voXpop xii. 170 The Beatles have almost become an obsession. I try to get studio out-takes and rare records, I'm almost anorak level about it{em}getting really excited if I can hear John Lennon cough.

I've never heard it used that way before. Is that strictly British slang? I still don't understand some of the usages. For example, what's a bus anorak? Or a caff anorak (caff is British slang for cafe)?

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
anorak, n.

Add: 2. slang (derog.). A boring, studious, or socially inept young person (caricatured as typically wearing an anorak), esp. one who pursues an unfashionable and solitary interest with obsessive dedication. Also attrib.

A very common piece of British slang. And once it has been understood that an anorak is a boring and geekish person, then, by adding a descriptor like "bus" then we can infer that this particular anorak bores everyone to tears talking about buses. Similarly computer, train, car or even wine anoraks.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I suspect, with no proof, that the word was used to describe these types because many train-spotters wear anoraks. It makes sense as they need to keep warm when standing around on wet, windy, and cold stations. Anoraks are also seriously uncool items of apparel, which fits with the geeky image of a train-spotter.

I've no idea what a caff anorak might be, unless it's someone who bores other people about the different types of coffee beans, etc.

Caff is indeed slang for café, but I shouldn't think there are many people obsessing about them. Confused

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if my experience is typical, but the only times I've read or heard the word "anorak" to refer to a hooded jacket, it was by a British (or Commonwealth) user or by someone writing about the Arctic regions.

Its slang usage was entirely unknown to me.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
If your obsession is standing out in the cold and damp and not eating, are you an anorectic? Roll Eyes

Local clothing marketer Columbia Sportswear list anoreks, though they seem to use the term for lighter stuff - hardly in keeping with the term's origins.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
anorak

Synecdoche ... pars pro toto.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asa: did you mean anorek, or anorak?

To me, an anorak (and the US equivalent - I think - parka) is a lot closer to the eskimo garment than any old thing with a hood. It was definitely for very cold weather use - snowball fights and so on. It used to have furry stuff showing around the hood and sleeves. Not at all just an (originally) athletic sweatshirt with a hood.

I wonder if the modern day anorak is a merchandising term for what is known more colloquially as a "hoodie".

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine:
Asa: did you mean anorek, or anorak?

Just my feeble attempt at a pun on "anorexia."

quote:
I wonder if the modern day anorak is a merchandising term for what is known more colloquially as a "hoodie".

I think you're right, Valentine, at least in the US.

<Proofreader>
posted
If you’re bound for the hills of Iraq
Better bundle up your anorak.
You think it should be hot
But in winter it’s not.
So pack your anorak on your back.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:

To us, a "hoodie" is more often a description of the person wearing the garment with a hood. Another example of synecdoche.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valentine:

In the UK, whether you are talking about the people or the garments, anoraks and hoodies are different.

In terms of the garment and anorak is a kind of thick hooded jacket, often, as you say, padded inside for warmth, while a hoodie is a kind of thin hooded sweatshirt or sometimes a thinner, unpadded, hooded jacket.

In terms of the people an "anorak" is someone obsessively devoted to a trivial topic (if you ever get the chance see the monologue "Anoraks of Fire", it's hilarious*), while hoodies are generally perceived as teen gangs who wear the hoods to hide their faces. This last perception is, like many such stereotypes, simply wrong. It's just a teen fashion and nothing more sinister. For what it's worth i don't think anoraks have ever been fashionable.

(In this monologue a train-spotter [do you have those in the US] sits on a stool on an empty stage and rambles on and on with occasional train noises and lights on the blank curtain behind him. At one point, if I recall, he disparagingly mentions bus-spotters and leans forward conspiratorially to the audience and says "Can you believe it, there are really some people who spot busses?")

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post

No, in the States, an anorak is pretty much a parka (or heavy coat of multilayer construction, water-proof on the outside, furry on the inside, and a hood), and a hoodie is more of a sweatshirt with a hood. We have trainspotters, but they're called rail buffs. I'm not sure if they wear parkas or hooded sweatshirts or not.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
You've described what used to be universally called, here in the US, a parka. In my youth, it was a parka, and never an anorak, which was an exclusively eskimo or British term.

But today: Land's End, at least, is using anorak more loosely.
Here's a parka.

Oddly, a search for anorak at their site brings up a bunch of items, none of which even have hoods.

In the US, I think it is primarily a merchandising term. Here's another example. Not many trainspotters wear that, I don't think.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Where I live, on the Left Coast, a parka (or anorak) is not a common item of apparel. I owned an old parka, given to me by a friend when I visited him on Long Island during a brutally cold winter. He laughed at the California winter coat I'd brought with me and told me I'd probably die of exposure if I wore it. I first heard the term anorak used in Germany about a garment I would call a parka. The etymology of both anorak and parka are from Alaskan aboriginal languages (Inuit and Nenets respectively).

Anyway, that's how I'd use the terms (anorak and hoodie). What advertisers and marketing choose to call something is often beyond my ken.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hey, zmjezd, I'm on the left coast too, albeit the northern left coast, and parkas/anoraks are de rigeur around here in the winter. I do find it odd that Columbia Sportswear, a company based here in Portland, uses "anorak" as if it were some flimsy piece of yuppie apparel. I guess ol' Gert Boyle's http://www.inc.com/magazine/20060401/qa-boyle.html getting senile.

posted Hide Post
Don't these people know how to index?
A search for anorak at Columbia Sportswear finds nothing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted

posted Hide Post
Wikipedia article on anorak.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
What advertisers and marketing choose to call something is often beyond my ken.

Me, too, Z.

Here in mid-Ohio, we have the same definitions for coats that you seem to have on the West Coast.

Working in da hood, I can tell you that hoodies are sweatshirts with hoods - usually with zippers on the front. Gangs will use certain colors of hoodies to identify themselves and others, but more commonly, thugs will all wear hoodies that blend in with everyone else so that if they get into mischief (i.e. criminal activity) they are less easily identified. Also, those hoods are a great way to prevent ceiling-mounted security cameras from seeing anything on your face.

Once in a while someone will use the term "hoodie" to mean any kind of jacket with a hood, but it is really such a generic term that it's nearly useless.

I'm fascinated to hear that anorak is slang for someone who is obsessive about a topic. I'll easily be able to slip this into conversation because both hubby and son are total military history anorak. (boring to me!)

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

I'm fascinated to hear that anorak is slang for someone who is obsessive about a topic. I'll easily be able to slip this into conversation because both hubby and son are total military history anorak. (boring to me!)

Then they should meet the guy about whom I posted this thread! Big Grin

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
For what it's worth i don't think anoraks have ever been fashionable.

I just noticed this. In the 'sixties there were two main tribes of youths: the Rockers, who rode motor bikes and dressed in denims and leather jackets; and the Mods, who rode scooters and wore sharp suits and heavy parkas. There's little difference between an anorak and a parka, although perhaps a parka is slightly longer; down to the knees rather than to just below the waist.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
the Rockers ... and the Mods

Immortalized in Quadrophenia by the Who (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.