Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take the piss Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I probably could ask Bob this question as it came from his book, "Anyone Can Do It," but I thought I'd ask the board. What is meant by "take the piss"? Is this an English phrase? We might say "take a piss," which would mean to urinate. Is that what it means? Urinate didn't seem to fit with the context.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To "take the piss" means to mock or ridicule. Often used in the phrase "you're taking the piss, aren't you?" meaning "you can't be serious", for instance if someone quotes a ridiculously high price for something. I believe it's mainly used in Britain and some Commonwealth countries. A more polite version is "taking the mickey".

There are various theories as to its origin. My favourite dates from the Industrial Revolution in Britain, when urine was used in the process of dyeing wool. Boatmen transporting barrels of urine along the canals would naturally be reluctant to disclose their actual cargo, so they'd claim to be carrying wine. This would be met with a disbelieving "no, you're taking the piss!"

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard that origin before. I love it. I don't believe a word of it but I love it anyway.

Is there an equivalent US phrase, beyond the obvious ones like "you must be joking" or John Macenroe's famous "You cannot be serious" ?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Interestingly you very occasionally hear the facetious variant "extracting the urine".

posted Hide Post
The common US equivalent is, "You're shitting me," or "No shit?" We seem more solid excrement-oriented for some reason.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That is a little old, isn't it Geoff? I will ask my daughter what is in vogue now.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, my daughter said she couldn't think of anything else. She'd say "no shit?" but not "You're shitting me."

So, there you have it from a 20-something...

[For the record, as her mother I am not happy with the "no shit?" Eek]

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You also hear "no shit" or sometimes "no shit, Sherlock" here in the UK but it doesn't mean the same as "taking the piss".

"Taking the piss" means that someone is joking or saying something that's ridiculous - such as asking an outrageous price for something they are trying to sell to you.

"No shit" and "no shit, Sherlock" mean that you have said something that's so completely obvious it wasn't worth saying. Thanks to the influence of American TV we also here "Well, duh!" with the same meaning.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Lately, what I've been hearing is just "Seriously?" instead of "no shit?"

As for saying that someone else is being taken or teased, I would say that "they're messing with you" is a more polite way of saying "they're shittin' you".

Also, I've heard "you fuckin with me?" or "they're just fuckin' with you".

Shit doesn't seem so bad now, does it, Kalleh?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nah, not after that. The fact is, though, I have never liked "shit." It just seems so crass to me.

A similar word to "seriously?" that I hear a lot now is "really?" It's hard to write because you have to use a certain tone when you say it.