Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    People skills vs. Interpersonal skills
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People skills vs. Interpersonal skills Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
On another forum they were discussing whether people skills and interpersonal skills were the same, and they concluded that they were. I don't think so. What do you think?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I think they are. Now, since I have lousy people skills, are you gonna tell me to get lost in a nice way or a nasty one? Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
This is a tricky one. Certainly people skills are closely related to interpersonal skills . . . but I think that, for me, there are slight nuances of difference. I think of people skills being more showy - the more out-going side of things, and interpersonal skills being more about relating one-on-one.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree, CW. People skills are more general, whereas interpersonal skills are more specific.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Does the term "people skills" include other less wholesome activities such as "social engineering" or "brainwashing"?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
OOOH, zmj, I hadn't gotten that connotation at all.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, this is probably just I, but I think of having people skills as being positive. "Social engineering" and "brainwashing" are hardly positive, so I wouldn't consider them to be part of having people skills. If someone didn't have people skills, I suppose he/she could "brainwash" or "socially engineer."