Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roaming Login/Join

posted
We're considering changing our mobile phone provider, and in looking at a prospective one, we see the term, "roaming." What does it mean in this context? I suspect it means, "This thing won't work here," but I don't know.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Well, I imagine it's the same over there, but roaming calls over here are ones made (via the provider's overseas partners) usually from another country. Typically they cost an arm and a leg.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
In the US, roaming charges are for when you go outside of your carrier's coverage area (for the plan you have). It could be in another state or another country. My first contract, only covered California for calls. When I went to Oregon or Washington, the price per minute of my calls went up. Currently my plan (not a contract, but month to month) includes all of the US. Because my phone is unlocked, I can buy a SIM when I go to a foreign country: my number changes, but also I am charged much less for calls in that country than it would cost if roaming charges applied.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
"This thing won't work here,"
Or...as arnie says, "This thing will cost you an arm and a leg." Unless you're a really savvy cell phone user, I'd say avoid the roaming charges. I've heard of people, unexpectedly, receiving huge bills for roaming charges.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, then, we're stuck. Only the big monopolies have in-network coverage out here in the sticks.
That's also why we have unreliable satellite internet: Nobody has a cable down the road. Fooey!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, in that case, don't take my advice. My plan hasn't had roaming charges for awhile, and perhaps things have improved since then. I do know, however, that international roaming charges can be disastrous!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post