Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    The couple are not young...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The couple are not young... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I know we've talked about the use of "the faculty is" versus "are" or the "staff is" versus "are." But this is a new one on me. In a newspaper article someone wrote: "This couple are not young," speaking of a married couple.

Would you say that?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
That would be my preference. "The couple is not young," would indicate to me that the actual pairing is of short duration (an unlikely usage) whereas "the couple are not young" would indicate to me that both of them are aged.

It's exactly the same situation that we've seen before with these collective nouns. If you are speaking of the singular entity represented by the group, you need a singular verb. If you are speaking collectively of the members of the group you need a plural verb.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
If you are speaking collectively of the members of the group you need a plural verb.

UK, not US. We do the opposite.
And, even as I wrote that, this thought appeared. We seem to differentiate on the basis of whether we refer to a proper noun. Today's paper said, "The Red Sox are leaving for Florida and spring training." Later, in the same story, "...the team is leaving at ..."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
In the UK a newspaper would have written "the team are ..."

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
All of the names of athletic teams that I can think of are plural. Athletics, Red Sox (Socks), Packers, Bears, Dodgers, Redskins, et cėtera.

Each of those entities is a team.

"Team" is a singular noun. In the American dialect singular nouns take singular verbs, but the UK dialect is different. There, such singular nouns as team, crew, faculty, staff ... take plural verbs.

This is one of many significant differences between US and UK English.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Generally, in British English, when we are talking about the entity (sporting team, whatever) as a whole, we would use the singular, but when we are thinking of the individual members we would use the plural. For example, Arsenal Football Club has a ground in north London, and The Arsenal team play in north London. The dividing line, however, is very blurred.

Sports reports in newspapers almost always use the plural, presumably to make things simpler.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
All of the names of athletic teams that I can think of are plural. Athletics, Red Sox (Socks), Packers, Bears, Dodgers, Redskins, et cėtera.

I know very little about sport of any kind, but most of the football teams I can think of immediately are singular - Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Arsenal sounds like a perfect name for the limerick game.

<Proofreader>
posted
Rather than start a new thread for this trivality, I'm posting it here.

There has been a continuing ad on TV for a law firm which asks you to call, "If you or a loved one has been sickened or died from the effects of ....."

I can understand how to call if a loved one was hurt, but how do I call if I have died from it?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Proof, that is so funny! Big Grin I've heard that ad, too, but it just didn't occur to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post