Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eurosclerosis Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
This is from the papers a few weeks ago.
    Thousands of union workers ... marched in France and Germany yesterday against any and all attempts to tweak their rigid labor rules. What a perfect demonstration that eurosclerosis, that ugly word from three decades ago, is back.
Has anyone seen this word?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Not until just now, but it's interesting! Is it defined in that article?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard of it before. Here is a very brief discussion of it in Wikipedia.

I am wondering if our British compatriots know of it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
FWIW dep't ...

I got 43,300 Google hits on entering eurosclerosis.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
FWIW dep't ...

I got 43,300 Google hits on entering eurosclerosis.

Serves you right for even thinking of investigating such an ugly word, though I only found 28,000 Google hits. Definition of Eurosclerosis: Eurosclerosis is a name for the 'disease' of rigid, slow-moving labor markets in Europe in contrast to fast-moving markets, e.g. in North America.
I am sure that fast movement of the US markets is the best way of disposing of such nasty materialism of what they call 'Econterms'.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've heard of the disease before, but not come across the word. Certainly the labour laws in France and Germany are known to be inflexible and parochial. At least here in the UK Margaret Thatcher stopped most of that nonsense, even if she did plenty of other less desirable things.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So it's the British connection that makes Airbus Industrie so good at kicking Boeing's tail feathers? France plays an obstructionist part? They aren't really assembled in Toulouse, but in Birmingham, then flown to France for unveiling? Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post