Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basilica Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am in Phoenix now, and my hotel is very close to a Basilica. I asked my sister (who lives here) just what a Basilica is. She said on her recent trip to Rome she found out that it is a church where a body part of a saint is buried. Yet, I find nothing like that in any of the dictionary definitions, such as this one:
quote:
an early Christian or medieval church of the type built esp. in Italy, characterized by a plan including a nave, two or four side aisles, a semicircular apse, a narthex, and often other features, as a short transept, a number of small semicircular apses terminating the aisles, or an atrium. The interior is characterized by strong horizontality, with little or no attempt at rhythmic accents. All spaces are usually covered with timber roofs or ceilings except for the apse or apses, which are vaulted.

Does anyone know what my sister is talking about?

(BTW, there are 2 new words to me in that definition, including apse and narthex.)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Well, technically all Catholic churches have a first class relic of a saint as part of the altar. Originally, a basilica was a Roman public building. (The word is from the Greek word meaning royal.) A basilica is simply an important church which has special status bestowed by a pope on it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post