Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

being "jake" Login/Join

posted
From context, I could easily understand this word in the newspaper. But does anyone know where it comes from?
    Question: Returning from a trip, I found a note inside my bag when I got home that said my suitcase had been inspected. The note also said that because my suitcase was locked, they had to break the lock. I had a $20 security lock that the Transportation Security Administration approved and recommended for use to make it easier for them to inspect luggage. The lock is destroyed. Any suggestions?

Answer: Yes. Don't check your bags. And if you do check your bags, don't lock them. But if you must lock them, make sure you buy the kind of lock that's jake with the TSA; the lock, packaging or both should say so clearly.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The OED states that the etymology for this meaning is "obscure."

It seems to have several meanings. With this use as an adjective, it means "excellent, admirable, fine and OK." As an adjective, jake(a)loo or jakerloo is Australian and New Zealand slang for "in the same sense."

Then as a noun, jake can mean "a rustic lout or simpleton: usually country jake. This use probably comes from the name Jacob. Another meaning as a noun is an alcoholic beverage made from Jamaica ginger. this obviously is an abbreviated form of Jamaica, and is American slang.

[Edit: Please see my September 10 post that clears up a mistake I made here.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This reminded me of an unrelated "jake", the ethno - medico - politico - musicological story of jake leg.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I had a lock of mine removed by the TSA.

It's interesting, is it not, that the TSA open cases to check that they aren't full of explosives, when the passengers are leaving the USA - but don't worry about those who are flying in. My checked baggage has never been opened when I've flown from other parts of the world - damaged, certainly, delayed, indeed - but opened? Only in the USA.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
when the passengers are leaving the USA

It's a funny thing statistics and personal experience. I've only had my luggage opened while flying between Frankfurt and Chicago. I always figured it was because I was bringing home some Turkish skillets I'd bought in Germany which probably appeared suspicious when the baggage was X-rayed. OTOH, what really ticked me off, was not having carry on luggage (which contained a metal urn) more thoroughly inspected when I took flew from Pittsburgh to SFO. Since my wife was carrying a US flag in a display case, we were certainly the right age, and I had a bunch of paperwork from some funeral home in Ohio, I just assumed the TSA guy thought we were grieving for our offspring lost in Iraq or Afghanistan. But I could've been carrying ten pounds of anything in that urn. Ticked me off to no end. That, and when an Indian employee of a Taiwanese airline confiscated my toothpaste at the Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport. During the craziness surrounding the RAF days in Germany (not the Royal Air Force, but the Rote Armee Fraktion, a terrorist group) I had an SLR camera taken apart and was severely patted down by a Grenzpolizist (Federal Border Policeman, or Grepo) with a snappy little machine gun hanging off his shoulder.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
The OED states that the etymology for this meaning is "obscure."

Interesting. An "obscure" word is one which is rarely used, but an etymology of "obscure" is unknown.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob alerted me privately (always feel free to correct me here, Bob) that I had misunderstood the online OED's definition of jake(a)loo or jakerloo; it meant that it was used in the same sense as the U.S. use; that is, it means "fine" or "OK" in Australia and New Zealand, too. Sorry about that! It wasn't at all clear in the definition, but I should have read the quotes more comprehensively. I merely skimmed them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
That, and when an Indian employee of a Taiwanese airline confiscated my toothpaste at the Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.

He probably wanted it for himself! (ref)

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
He

It was a she, but I know what you mean.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post