Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Vector my thinking, please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vector my thinking, please Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'm puzzled as to why the word, vector can mean a direction and magnitude in mathematics, but in biology, it refers to a particular pathogen. The two meanings seem incongruous. Were the biological definition something like, "The pathway taken by a pathogen in spreading infection," it would seem reasonable, but that's not how I've seen it described. Kalleh, since you're in medicine, how do you use it?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Asa, the way I see it is that they are both pathways. In a biological vector, an organism, such as a mosquito or tick, carries disease-causing microorganisms from one host to another, thus providing a pathway for the disease--or a direction for the disease. In mathematics, then, a vector is a quantity, such as velocity, completely specified by a magnitude and a direction; so in a sense, it too provides a pathway. Similarly, in genetics a vector is an agent that transfers genetic material from one cell to another, thus again a pathway. I am much more familiar with biological vectors than mathematical or genetic ones, so I welcome other comments.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post

[This message was edited by C J Strolin on Wed Dec 11th, 2002 at 14:56.]

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, CJ, I don't suppose that counts. Do you market your knives like some companies do by cutting a can, or other piece of metal, in half? I have always wondered who would cut metal with kitchen knives anyway!

Asa, a colleague gave me the following explanation that may be better than mine: A vector carries a transmissible disease, and a mathematical vector carries a value, both in a particular direction. Is that better? Mathematical experts, does that work for your vectors? It does for biological/genetic vectors.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
In math, according to AHD, a "vector" is a quality, such as speed, that is fully defined by its magnitude and its direction. That is, you can fully define a speed by stating "How fast, and which way?"

It's not clear to me, though, how this parallels the medical definition. The medical meaning seems closer to the etymology.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post

[This message was edited by C J Strolin on Wed Dec 11th, 2002 at 14:55.]

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Do you market your knives like some companies
do by cutting a can, or other piece of metal, in half? I have always wondered who
would cut metal with kitchen knives anyway!
You mean, there's ANOTHER way to open a can? Damn! I've been single too long! Well actualy, I do have a pneumatic chisel at work, but that's overkill on a can of beans.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, your last post is a pun waiting to happen, I am sure. Unfortunately, my brain doesn't work that way. Perhaps a dose of your pneumatic chisel would help!

Back to vectors: Shufitz, while direction would definitely fit the vector definition in biology, I agree that magnitude doesn't. Interesting.