New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you valuable? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Or...are you invaluable?

I was writing some recommendations and started to say the person's input was "valuable," but then changed it to "invaluable." It made me think. Why is it that "invaluable" is so much better than "valuable?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
You can put a price on something that is just "valuable". If it's "invaluable" it's priceless.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You sound like a Master Card commercial. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Would that make fantabulous priceless, too? Or is it just a little more than fabulous?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
That's just a portmanteau between fantastic/fantasy and fabulous. I don't think there's any implication of value included in the meaning.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
invaluable

I read the in- in this word as the same one in inflammable: an intensive prefix, not meaning not but very. But, then, I see that same prefix in irregardless. Along these lines, why is priceless positive, but worthless not? And, what about without price? Is it that worth is intrinsic, but price is set from without?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post