Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    What was that word again?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was that word again? Login/Join

posted
I need a quick refresher - we discussed a word some time ago describing substances which were harmful in high or even ordinary amounts but beneficial in very small quantities.

Couldn't find it where I thought it was. Full of h's and i's and o's and e's, I think - does anyone remember it? Kalleh, it may have been your offering in the first place?

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never mind, I found it.

HORMESIS

Got the H,I,O,E right, anyway.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hab, I hope you had a nice conversation with yourself. Wink

I do remember that word, though I haven't had the opportunity to use it. What was your context for using it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No context for using HORMESIS yet; just knowing that I couldn't produce the word any more. Repetition is how memories are ingrained and reinforced.

Is there a word for the converse? Case in point: atropine is given to speed up a heart that is beating too slowly. Can't give a lot, though, or it might speed it up too much. HOWEVER - if you give too little, the heart rate actually slows down even more.

So - in this case more is good, and less is not just ineffective but harmful. What do we call this?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Excellent question! Perhaps wordcrafter will know, since the word came from his word of the day. I will also ask my logophile friend. I just don't know.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post