Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Presume vs. assume Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
What is the difference between assume and presume? In looking that up, they are cited as synonyms. Is the technical difference that you know something about what you are assuming, but not with what you are presuming?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
presume and assume

The entry for presume at AHD has details on the synonyms of presume
quote:
presume, [...] assume These verbs signify to take something for granted or as being a fact. To presume is to suppose that something is reasonable or possible in the absence of proof to the contrary: “I presume you're tired after the long ride” (Edith Wharton). [...] To assume is to accept something as existing or being true without proof or on inconclusive grounds: “We must never assume that which is incapable of proof” (G.H. Lewes).
See the entry (link) for the other synonyms and examples of them, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Somehow, though, they have a slightly different feeling to them. There is something more assertive about presuming than there is about assuming. When we say someone is "presumptuous," we mean he has gone a bit too far in his assumptions (and who does he think he is?!) By contrast, you never hear of anyone being "assumptuous," if that is even a word. We might say, "She assumes incorrectly," but somehow it is not as offensive as if she were to presume incorrectly.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Never assume, since it makes an ass out of u and me.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I do agree with you, WM, and yet in those 2 AHD examples above, I could see using either "assume" or "presume." My daughter reminded me of the quote: "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" Somehow "assume" just doesn't work there.

Interesting, WM, that there isn't an "assumptuous," you are right. However, according to OED, there is an "assumptious," which is a "rare" adjective, meaning "given to assumption, assuming. Hence a'ssumptiousness, tendency to take too much upon oneself."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, a guy's gotta assume something. Even mathematicians start with a set of axioms that are assumed without proof.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
We all assume we're going to Heaven, with no proof there is such a place. And we all presume our virtuous lives entitle us to entry, which is presumptuous.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post