Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Publicans Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
I've understood the word 'publican' to mean the keeper of a pub, and always thought the bible used it that way. But I understand that as used in the bible it refers to a tax collector.

How did the word come to have two such different meanings?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One could easily see how the definition would arise from humor. Regular churchgoers pay their tithing, 10% of their income, and regular pub goers pay their tabs, possibly 10% of their income. For every drinkers, the alcohol could be viewed as a regular payment, to be collected by the pubkeeper. Referring to the pubkeeper as a publican seems like a funny joke.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...so then I wonder where re---publican developed (though I could think of a few hypotheses Wink).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
A pub is a public house which, in England means a drinking establishment open to the public. Originally public houses were simply residences that allowed the public to visit to drink. They differed from hotels, taverns and inns, all of which were actually set up as commercial establishments.

The distinction no longer exists although there are still a few pubs which remain true to the original concept. In such original pubs there is no bar and the owner would draw the beer from a cask in his cellar and bring it to the drinkers who would be seated in one of the rooms of his house

From the term "public house" came the abbreviation "pub" and thus "publican".

Incidentally, in some other Eurpoean countries a "public house" is one which offers a far more personal service to visitors. Ask for a "Casa Publica" in Spain and you will, if you don't get your face slapped, be directed to the nearest brothel.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
re---publican

Well, I know it was a joke, but the public in pub and the public in republican both do come from the Latin publicus 'of the people, public'. The Latin term res publica (whence republic) means literally 'the people's thing / the public business'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks, Zmj. It makes me wonder then...in the U.S. the Republicans pride themselves in saying they want to give the power to the states, and not the federal government. While I think it really depends on the issue being discussed, is "the people's thing/the public business" how this philosophy started?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Latin term res publica (whence republic) means literally 'the people's thing / the public business'.

Funny, I was just reading about this term a few hours ago.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post