Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

420 Login/Join

posted
I recently advertised on Craigslist for a renter to occupy an empty bedroom. I specified "nonsmoker," but several respondents said they "420." I know this is some kind of drug slang for marijuana smoking, but what is its origin, and why the )&&^!$#@ would they not consider it to be smoking?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The San Francisco Bay Area, of course.
quote:
why the )&&^!$#@ would they not consider it to be smoking?

Because it's not tobacco. Some people make the distinction.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds as if they've used enough of the stuff to get really stupid!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
Some people don't mind marijuana smoke but dislike cigarette smoke. Marijuana smoke doesn't saturate clothes and furniture the way tobacco smoke does, and there's generally less of it.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Some people don't mind marijuana smoke but dislike cigarette smoke. Marijuana smoke doesn't saturate clothes and furniture the way tobacco smoke does, and there's generally less of it.

All those banned substances are certainly conducive to fine living.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marijuana smoke doesn't saturate clothes and furniture the way tobacco smoke does, and there's generally less of it.
Ah...not sure I agree with that.

To answer your question, Asa, it comes from the police code that is used for marijuana. It may have started in SF, but it is common all over now, at least that's what my anonymous expert says. Wink

I wonder how many here remember that discussion we had a long time ago here about marijuana. It was eye opening . Rereading it again reminds me how much I miss CJ here. I know he used to go off on tangents, but he used to lighten us up a lot and I appreciate that from time to time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I had always thought that smokers of marijuana would usually mix it with tobacco. Is that not the case?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post

I grew up in southern Sonoma county which is the next county over from Marin (wherein San Rafael High lies). I never heard the term used at our high school roughly in the same time period. The High Times story is widely cited, but not everybody is convinced. In the counties to the north of Sonoma, i.e., Mendocino and Humboldt, pot is the major agricultural cash crop.

I had always thought that smokers of marijuana would usually mix it with tobacco. Is that not the case?

Not in the USA, arnie. It's more of a European and North African tradition. And more often than not, with hashish than loose-leaf marijuana.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I work (a lawn and garden equipment dealership) when one enters "420" into our business software, it displays this: http://www.shindaiwa.com/suppo...partslists/index.php They make weed trimmers. Coincidence? Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
quote:

Sounds as if they've used enough of the stuff to get really stupid!

Easy for you to say--I was a daily user for 40+ years with no diminunition of my faculties. As far as smoking goes, using a vaporizer with a good HEPA air cleaner close at hand will obviate any clinging noxious effects. " We ought not to talk about/ That which we know nothing about."

Posts: 70 | Location: Philly/SJReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
quote:

All those banned substances are certainly conducive to fine living.

You need to check how many states DON'T ban it for some or substantially all of their citizens. I expect within 5 years if only for revenue purposes Cannabis in all its forms will be Federally legal then what say ye? Especially if it's used as a medication as it is so many places, it may actually be illegal to refuse to rent to a Cannabis user. Certainly a lawyer for the plaintiff would successfully argue thus. Also I'd be interested in a definition of "fine living" or are you only playing to the gallery?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:

Much common in Europe; not so much here...except with hard-core polydrug abusers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
quote:
Marijuana smoke doesn't saturate clothes and furniture the way tobacco smoke does, and there's generally less of it.
Ah...not sure I agree with that.

To answer your question, Asa, it comes from the police code that is used for marijuana. It may have started in SF, but it is common all over now, at least that's what my anonymous expert says. Wink

I wonder how many here remember that discussion we had a long time ago here about marijuana. It was eye opening . Rereading it again reminds me how much I miss CJ here. I know he used to go off on tangents, but he used to lighten us up a lot and I appreciate that from time to time.

The origin of the 420 is pure counter-culture with nothing to do with polizei codes. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4...8cannabis_culture%29 I don't propose that Wikipedia.org is the be-all and end-all for information but this makes a modicum of sense.

posted Hide Post
BTW, we have no effective way of taking back huge swaths of California National Forests from the Mexican cartels unless we remove the illegal prices and thus inflated profits from this substance...Did I mention the taxes we are losing collecting due to to the underground economy?