Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phrases Login/Join

posted
Two phrases have come up recently, that I just am not sure I like. Tell me what you think here.

"My bad" meaning "my mistake".

"I'm all about that!" meaning, "I like that idea!"

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever I hear someone say "my bad", it grates on my ears. I do admit to using it once but I doubt I will be using it regularly.

Posts: 113 | Location: Minnesota, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
My bad. Really girls, I'm sorry. I'm like, usually all about the proper English and all. It'll never happen again. Like, for sure, ya know? Razz

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speculative, but I think "My bad" came from basketball. It's a quick way to express contrition without having to take one's attention away from the ongoing game.

posted Hide Post
When I first saw "My bad", I thought it was a typo and was supposed to be "Me bad", which I assumed was a slang expression of mock shame meaning "I'm bad because I made a mistake". Of course, in the world of slang, "bad" often means "good".

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Fortunately neither of these execrable phrases seem yet to have made it to the UK. Let us hope they don't!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
I believe wordnerd is correct. That's where I first heard it, anyway.

When a whistle is blown on a foul and the person committing the foul realizes it, he or she may raise a hand to the crowd (especially if the foul was totally unintentional) as if to say, "OK, that was me, I'm sorry. I didn't intentionally try to throw my elbow into your throat." On the court, this became shortened to "my bad," a handy expression I've picked up but will now try to put down again seeing as how it seems to grate on everyone's ear.

Sorry about that, my ba... Damn!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CJ, my understanding of the phrase's basketball use is that it is typically used when the cooperation between two teammates has "gang agley".

For example, suppose you throw me a pass that's not easy to catch, and I miss it. In lieu of faulting my stone hands you might, in the spirit of team harmony, take the blame upon yourself by saying "My bad"; that is, saying that the fault lay with your pass rather than my fumbling.

quote:
When a whistle is blown on a foul and the person committing the foul realizes it, he or she may raise a hand to the crowd as if to say, "OK, that was me, I'm sorry."
The player raises a hand for a different reason: to make it easier for the scorekeeper to identify the person against whom the foul is to be charged. I used to coach basketball for kids about 13 years old, and they were taught to do that; I don't recall if it's required by the official rules.

And by the way, thanks for bringing back some very sweet memories.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am a basketball fanatic (I even play sometimes yet!), and I haven't heard "my bad". Perhaps I just didn't get it--which is par for my course! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post