Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Charticles Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In reading Kathleen Parker's colum, she mentioned a word I've not seen, charticle. Here is a blog discussion of it, and here are some more images. Google has about 80,000 citations for the word, though I realize that often doesn't mean anything. Have you heard of it? Any other examples? I guess I don't see the difference from a charticle and what I'd call a chart.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The Wikipedia entry (link) explains: "a combination of text, images and graphics that takes the place of a full article". It cites this article. It's a portmanteau word: chart plus article I've never heard it before.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
USA Today is full of charticles, I guess, but I'd never read or heard the word until today.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
See also Word Spy for some citations.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It may be a new word, but it certainly isn't a new concept. "Charticles" have been around at least since I have. I've just called them charts. I entered one in the fair many years ago.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
So if a "charticle" is a short article containing charts, presumably a short article containing pictures is a "particle".

Or maybe not.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, portmanteaus seem to proliferate like acronyms do. While I don't mind an catchy acronym once in awhile or a necessary portmanteau, I get annoyed by too many. We are trying to market one of our initiatives, so our PR department is looking for an acronym; once that's found, they come up with words that fit. I always think it should be done the other way around.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Charticle was also a Word of the Week over at Fritinancy which includes a YouTube clip.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, though I found the YouTube clip a little lame.