Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Additions to OED Login/Join

posted
quote:
What do "yada yada," "hactivist" and "dust bunny" all have in common? They are three of the newest words in the Oxford English Dictionary's latest online update.

Included in the dictionary is "pissing contest," noun, defined as a competition to see who can urinate the furthest or highest (most likely submitted by a group of teenage boys). nd more common words like "plan b," "counterterrorism" and "plasma TV" also made the latest update.

Also new to the OED is the latest way to find love through something called "speed dating," n., a process by which people seeking romantic relationships attend organized events at which they have a short conversation with each of several potential partners. Maybe that will lead to an air kiss (verb) assumming the girl doesn't have a blonde moment (adj)
Full text here.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Interesting that it didn't mention the figurative use of "pissing contest" - any aggresive maswculine posturing - eg "I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you."

This isn't new though, It's been around as long as I can remember.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...600,000 words, with words like "yada yada yada" from Seinfeld (big deal!), and they have agreed never to take a word out because "even obsolete terms might be relevant to someone years later." And, still, they can't add little old "epicaricacy."

It sounds political to me. Those homosexuals must be involved. Wink

[BTW, for those of you who may be new, of course I am just kidding!]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post