Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atavistic Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I had thought of atavism as meaning genetic recombination and really hadn't seen it used in general literature. However, I came across it in the U. of Chicago Law magazine, used this way: "I'm appalled at the argument used by Justice Scalia to support his view that the death penalty is morally acceptable. I consider his Bible quoting to be primitive and atavistic nonsense". Then I checked Google and found it used when describing a poem. Interesting word! How have you seen it used?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'd always thought of it as anything that harkens back to an earlier form or style or type. Politically, I'd consider it almost a synonym for luddism.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Asa, you're right; atavism means a throwback. However, isn't "luddism" more specific in that it means the opposition of technological change? Or, can it be used more generally?

I was asking someone about "atavism" today, and he said that he always mixed it up with "avatar". Now, that was a new word for me. It means the incarnation of a Hindu deity in human or animal form. However, from AHD, it also can be more general, meaning an embodiment, thus making it a bit more useful; for example, "the very avatar of cunning".

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"the very
And Ned Ludd was the avatar of workplace atavism! razz

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, as usual, you are very clever!
However, do you agree with me about the meaning of luddism, or am I incorrect?

posted Hide Post
I got a definition from an online databank of words that sez that atavism is, "The return of a trait or recurrence of previous behavior after a period of absence." so I suppose that throwback might be close. Would that make stone crabs atavistic?

Posts: 5 | Location: Charlotte, NCReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
atavism is, "The return of a trait or recurrence of previous behavior after a period of absence." so I suppose that throwback might be close
I'm told in arabic slang from the middle east, the word for a red-headed person is "throwback, in reference to the Crusaders.

As to stone crabs: as a lifelong resident of the midwest, far from any coast, I dasn't comment.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post