Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Usury Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
After watching this video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9050474362583451279&q=money
I got to wondering when the concept of usury disappeared. I remember hearing it as a child, not not within the last fifty years or so. Is it now a legally dead issue?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think so. There have been news articles within the last few years about paycheck loan outfits violating usury laws. And loansharking is apparently still illegal.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
What is the legal definition of usury? I should have just Googled rather than asking ehre, I guess, but I can remember my mother saying something like any interest rate above 15% or possibly 20% was considered usurious, but credit card companies charge such rates all the time now. Probably it varies from state to state, from nation to nation, but I agree with Asa, that so many lenders now charge sky-high rates and you never do hear the word "usury" flung around anymore.

Wordmatic

P.S. I also didn't take the time to watch the video, so I'll do that now.

P.P.S. Looking the word up in an online legal dictionary, I discovered that you basically have to be a loan shark to be charged with usury, and the max legal rate does vary state-to-state. However, banks may charge whatever interest the market will bear. Sigh.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordmatic,

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do I picture an angry bearded (?) fellow in a white robe, swinging an adz in the usurer's quarters

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
English usury is similar in its drift (and subsequent pejorification) of meaning in a word like ignorant: Latin usura 'interest (on a loan)' (< usus 'used' < uti 'to use'), means literally 'something used, enjoyed' (cf. usufructus which is a bit of a pleonasm). It's a slippery slope from 'use' to 'interest' to 'excessive interest', but that's how language works.

[Corrected misdirecting angle brackets.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do I picture an angry bearded (?) fellow in a white robe, swinging an adz in the usurer's quarters

Because you've seen it before?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post