Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repair, Fix and Mend Login/Join

Picture of Graham Nice
posted
Is there a difference in the main meanings of the words repair, fix and mend?

I am asking because one of my colleagues dreamed about explaining it to me.

I asked this question on another message board and nobody came up with a sensible answer, so I think that they are very close to being exact synonymns.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd say they are all very close to being interchangeable in the shared meanings of the words. As was mentioned on the other board, they all have other meanings (as in fix a meal, for instance) that the others don't share.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I see only the origins as being different, although custom dictates the use of "mend" over the others when referring to broken bones, broken hearts, etc. One wouldn't say, "I'm on the fix," for instance.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Plus they have different meanings when used as different parts of speech. As verbs they are quite similar, but as nouns a fix and a repair are different - and "a mend" is not used.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
Plus they have different meanings when used as different parts of speech. As verbs they are quite similar, but as nouns a fix and a repair are different - and "a mend" is not used.

I hadn't thought of that!
Thanks. I think the noun meanings help a lot.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I posted something in response to this yesterday, but apparently it didn't take.

I see "fix" and "repair" as synonymous. However, "mend" seems to be different. A piece of clothing is usually "mended," though it's not "fixed" or "repaired," as a general rule. Of course you can "mend" a relationship or a heart, too, but I think it's a little more crass to say a relationship or heart is "repaired" or "fixed." I see "mend" as being a bit softer than "fix" or "repair." You don't "mend" a dish washer or car, you "fix" or "repair" it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'd rate the words in this order: repair, fix, mend. If you repair something, such as a car, you usually restore it to its original condition. A fix would only make it drivable or put in working order, while mend is out of the question in this situation. Mend, in the sense of restoring, is something visibly, perhaps temporarily, restored.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Nice imput, Proofreader! Welcome to the board! Where are you from?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Proofreader! See you PMs (private messages).

However, I respectfully disagree with you. I will never forget my mother taking my beloved doll to the doll hospital to have it mended...and while it was restored, it was certainly permanent. I don't rate the 3 words in that order. But I'd love to debate it with you!

<Proofreader>
posted
As I said, Kalleh, the ranking I gave the words is my personal definition. However, I believe the care given your broken doll qualifies as a repair, in the sense of restore to original condition, instead of mend. When my mother mended socks or torn garments, there was no doubt it was only a temporary fix.

Sorry I forgot to include my place of residence when I signed up. I'm a retired printer/ proofreader/ copy editor from Rhode Island.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow...I'd better watch my grammar and typos! Wink

No, I'd say my doll was mended. It wasn't broken, but the age had taken off the color and the stuffing was coming out, so it was mended. I suppose, though, you could say the doll was "rehabilitated."

Is anything fixed permanently? If your socks could develop holes again, isn't it the same as the brakes on your car being fixed, but then breaking again?

No, my personal definition does not consider "mending" to be temporary.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Is anything fixed permanently?

I would suggest a dog who has been "fixed" is a permanent thing. Big Grin

Posts: 29 | Location: Vanderhoof, B.C.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of pregnant women as a courtesy of "fixed" men. Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
the brakes on your car being fixed, but then breaking again?

What if you're broke and can't afford to have the broken brakes fixed? That's a tough break. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post