Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimmer Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I heard a 79-year-old Englishman interviewed on NPR today who said he was a member of a band called "The Zimmers." The interviewer asked if the name wasn't slang for something, but I missed what what was said. Other than being a pretty common German family name, what's a zimmer to you Brits?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, this will be the bunch of 70-,80- and 90- year olds who have just recorded a cover version of the Who classic "My Generation".

A zimmer is a zimmer frame, a kind of for legged walking stick that gives the infirm some mobility.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to find that Wikipedia already has the latest poop on this. Tell the truth, did one of you guys contribute that last para?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Must have been Bob. Wink

Word has it that my mother's aunt used to say, "Zimmer, zimmer, zimmer" as an exclamation, to mean something like, "Oh dear" or "What are you going to do?" I imagine it was just something she made up, though. I haven't thought about that in a a long time.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
It's German for "room," isn't it?

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"Room?" Oh, thank goodness - I was afraid it had something to do with Slick Willy and Monica Lewinski! Eek

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post

Yes, it's cognate with English timber. There's also kammer '(small) room' which is a borrowing from Latin camera 'room', which also yields English chamber via French.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In Italian, "camera d'aria" means "inner tube." Then we think of a camera as a photographic device. It IS a little room, I suppose.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The photographic device developed from the camera obscura 'dark room'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:

Yes, it's cognate with English timber.

It's also cognate with "dome", "madame", and "danger". Wacky!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
The photographic device developed from the camera obscura 'dark room'.

The word is used in its original sense in the legal profession. When a judge tries a session "in camera" it is when the session is held in private (in a room that is closed to all but the judge, the accused and any necessary officials, in other words).

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It's used similarly in describing the two divisions of the legislature, "bi-cameral."

posted Hide Post
quote:
When a judge tries a session "in camera"

I don't know much legal jargon but I think here the judge would meet in similar circumstances "in his chambers" or "in chambers."