Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    100 words - lists by Am Heritage Dictionary
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 words - lists by Am Heritage Dictionary Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
A friend of mine posted on Facebook about American Heritage's list of 100 words every high school graduate should know. In looking at the list I find that there are some words that I really don't use very often.

Also a google search shows that AHD has many such "100 words" lists for various ages. It seems they have booklets you can purchase (of course) with the lists and definitions.

There is a quiz, too. I got 91%

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Here is the actual list of words.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
yeoman? jejune? moiety? really?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There are lots of words more deserving to be in such a list IMNSHO.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's just someone's opinion, and not a good one, IMHO.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Some of them, I can understand. But many are technical, such as polymer, thermodynamics and nanotechnology. On the other hand, one of my favorite words, oligarchy is there.

Nice post, though, CW, and it's great to see you posting again.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Only got 98 - but I was very drunk last night when I took it (FWIW I missed jejune and fiduciary)

Struck me as a decidedly odd list. Why exactly is it important to know antebellum or moiety?

Sheer hubris, if you ask me.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what moiety means, even though I looked it up when I took the test on March 2, a mere 8 days ago. It's just not a word I've ever even heard used. I do know fiduciary, though, because of Mary Poppins.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I remember it from chemistry.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked in my Old English dictionary and find that swifan meant 'to come to course' and our word swift is from the past particple. No mention of its sexual use. Nothing sexual under cwim either, except that it's a variation of comen whence our to come; it's related to Skt gam. 'to go', Latin venio 'to come', and Gothic qiman 'to come'. The use of the verb for come as a synonym for the climax of sexual intercourse is found in Hittite (don't have the word at hand).

Anyway, I'm still sceptical, but will reserve further opinion until I've read Money's article.

Don't mean to reopen such an old thread, but no one answer'd you.

The OE word that you're looking for is cwēme/cwēman (noun/verb) ... today's English, tho seldom seen, is queem.

OE cwēman: to give pleasure, please, delight, propitiate, satisfy. Quim is likely a variation of queem.

As for swīfan (strong verb in OE ... p swāf [swove], pp swifen [swiven], it also meant: to revolve, sweep, wend; of a course of action, to come to take part in a matter; intervene. No straightforward sexual witt (sense) but we are missing so much from OE. However, by ME, it did hav it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AnWulf,

freespeller

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
How mendacious of you to say so!

Big Grin

Seriously, some nice posts to introduce yourself. Welcome to the board.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post