Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy and Merry Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Dialect Blog has an article about why Americans say "Merry Christmas" but the British say "Happy Christmas".
It's certainly interesting but is it actually true? I'm British and I may be living in China at the moment but almost all of my life has been spent in England and in my experience by far the commoner greeting is "Merry Christmas".

Certainly in my speech community it's possible to hear "Happy Christmas" but much less frequently. It might, of course, be regional.

What do the other British here think. DO we really say "Happy" in preference to "Merry".

Nice theory but I don't think it's true.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know you asked for British responses, but may I chime in, please?

I've found that Happy Holidays have become much more common here, than Merry Christmas. Maybe it's where I live (a rather Jewish area, comparatively speaking)? Certainly it used to be Merry Christmas, and I assume the change is due to "political correctness."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the idea that the English don't say "Merry Christmas" because the queen doesn't want them to very hard to believe.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
I find the idea that the English don't say "Merry Christmas" because the queen doesn't want them to very hard to believe.

Me too, especially as the British do say Merry Christmas.

posted Hide Post
Since the English rendering of the old Welsh tune, "Deck the Hall" has the line, "Don we now our gay apparel," why do you not say, "Gay Christmas?" Then some pour a cup of "Christmas Cheer."

Felis dies natalis solis invicti, y'all!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a Gay Christmas, Geoff.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Like Bob, I think that's wrong. We certainly do say "Merry Christmas". In fact, the usual tag is "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year". It may be that we have been affected by (American) Xmas cards, and it is certainly true that I have also heard "Happy Christmas". I can't really remember what was said before most of the cards came from American-owned companies.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
In most of the US now, you can't go wrong with "Felizz Navidad."

Just saw an interesting story. Congressmen have been told by the government franking office not to use "Merry Christmas" or "Happy New Year" (and possibly "Happy Holidays") in official mail. If they do, the mail will not be sent at government expense, and instead will be charged usual postal rates. They can say "Have a happy new year", though, as long as it isn't a holiday greeting.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I can't feel gay this time of year despite Tinman's kind wishes, I do feel that the government goes too far in its "PC" crap. "Happy/Gay/Merry, etc. Holidays" is a part of tradition, and ought not be tread upon by government agency fiat. Damn,I'm feeling awfully Hitchensesque, arguing both sides! Roll Eyes

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
I don't think the government has anything against Christmas. It's just a way of preventing cheap politicians from using free mailing priveleges to mail out holiday greetings at taxpayer expense.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Pagans of northern climes probably greeted the winter solstice with sentiments such as 'may the gods get us through another one.' They would have stoned whoever penned "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he thought it was the most wonderful time, he probably WAS stoned. Wink Doooood, look at all that sky dandruff! He he he...

Proofreader, if it was just cards and no official business, then I'd agree, it isn't appropriate.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
if it was just cards and no official business, then I'd agree, it isn't appropriate.

My guess would be that it wasn't just holiday greetings, either but a last-of-the-tax-year pitch for monetary support for the ever-present campaign fund. Damn greedy bastards!

I hear Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Good Solstice, whatever. I also, on a daily basis, hear customers wish me a "blessed day", which is kind of them. I've seen a lot of kerfuffle over people who are upset because they don't want to be PC about their Christian holiday, and I've seen rebuffs from pagans and agnostics who point out that Christmas is all based on pagan traditions, blah blah blah.

Bah Humbug.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas, CW! Smile

posted Hide Post
God jul! In Swedish, "good" is spelled "god," and "yule" clearly derives from Nordic pre-christian festivities. This from the Collins English Dictionary online: Old English geōla, originally a name of a pagan feast lasting 12 days; related to Old Norse jōl, Swedish jul, Gothic jiuleis
So, God Jule, y'all! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

<Proofreader>
posted
When folks say to me "Have Merry Christmas," I always say, "I can't. My wife won't let me."

Serenity Now!

Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
I am English and say Happy Christmas and Merry Christmas with no particular preference for one or the other, except when writing Christmas cards. If you say Happy Christmas there, it becomes impossible to add Happy New Year, unless you amusingly say Merry New Year.

I would say Merry Christmas is slightly more common here. The second best Xmas single ever is after all called Merry Xmas Everybody.

As a non-Christian, I take no offence in being wished a Happy Christmas, and would reply in kind.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Today we had a big holiday luncheon at work, and my boss, sitting next to me, started to say to everyone, "Mer...." She caught herself, and then said, "Happy Holidays!" I assured her that she doesn't need to avoid the word "Christmas" just because I am Jewish.

We are a little too sensitive about the holidays here in the U.S., I think.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I have said it before and I will say it again

I have been wished Merry Christmas and given Christmas cards by Christian students, atheist students, Jewish students, Buddhist students, agnostic students, Islamic students, Sikh students and Hindu students and probably others I have forgotten to list.
I have in turn wished each and every one of them the compliments of their own holidays, in addition to returning their Merry Christmases.

And I, for the record am an atheist.

An atheist who has this week taught classes of predominantly atheist students (with a few Buddhists among them) all about Christmas. (More about Rudolph in another post.)

None of them have ever intended offense or taken offense.

The key is simply to show respect for each others views. It's that simple. And then we can all get on with our lives without constantly walking on eggshells afraid of upsetting people.

posted Hide Post
We just passed the Druid's big day, the solstice. I am reminded of Mel Brooks' insane/inane movie, "Space Balls," wherein there's the line, "Funny, she doesn't look Druish."

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hope geōla've a merry one, all!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The key is simply to show respect for each others views. It's that simple. And then we can all get on with our lives without constantly walking on eggshells afraid of upsetting people.
Amen. Let's post it on the walls!