Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Dialect" Login/Join

posted
From the press:
    Recognizing the importance of knowing another language besides English, Frederick County school officials are pressing for greater exposure to other dialects. Schools currently offer French, German, Latin and Spanish, with some piloting courses in Chinese and Italian.
Is this purely mistaken diction, or is there precedent for using dialect to mean language?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Maybe their thesaurus is broken. BTW, does anybody besides me see the change of meaning of word thesaurus from treasure box to semasiological dictionary as an indication that the lexical sky is falling. One more semantic change in the lexicon and everything will mean nothing or nothing will mean anything. La!

[Corrected typo.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're in a jovial mood today zmjezhd.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
You're in a jovial mood today

Why thank you, Seanahan. I'll take that as a compliment.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Gosh, zmj, I thought "thesaurus" was originally an Anglo-Greek expression meaning "the Lizard." Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, does anybody besides me see the change of meaning of word thesaurus from treasure box to semasiological dictionary as an indication that the lexical sky is falling. One more semantic change in the lexicon and everything will mean nothing or nothing will mean anything.

Zmj, jovial or not, could you please explain that to me?

I can't understand such bad misuse of a word. Wordnerd, where was the quote from?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
could you please explain that to me?

Sure. The word thesaurus was borrrowed from the Greek word θησαυρος (thesauros, via Latin) which meant 'treasure box'. Because,as we have been admonished over and over again, words should never be allowed to change meanings, or better yet, because people should never be allowed to change the meanings of words, or still better yet, because the meanings of words should not be allowed to change: thesaurus should not refer to those kinds of dictionaries where the words are not alphabetically arranged (i.e., onomasiological) but are arranged by concept (i.e., semasiological).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oooohhhh, zmj, now you've gone and opened Pandora's thesaurus! Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, you asked where the quote came from. You'll find it here; not exactly the major press.