Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a difference? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
I was watching Cops tonight and one policeman put handcuffs on a perp, saying,"We're taking you to detox. You're not under arrest, just being detained."

I can see no difference between the two words. The man was taken away, with no choice in the matter, so he is in effect being detained under arrest. Or is there some obscure legal differentiation. (Detox is probably the drunk tank in the station, not a hospital stay)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
I was watching Cops tonight

I watch it by peering out the window at work. Don't need no steenkin' television!

Detained? Since Tain is a town in Scotland, does that mean the Scottish cops were throwing him outa town? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNn-6FzTimY

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I imagine the difference is legalistic. However, my friend had an interesting experience with the Winnetka police on an "arrest" issue. She was stopped for not completely stopping at a stop sign. In the discussion with the officer, she also couldn't find her insurance card, but she insisted she did have insurance. She offered to call her insurance agent who could verify it (which I did think was a little odd). The officer said, "You are under arrest! You can't make a cell phone call!" Under arrest for not fully stopping at a stop sign? She began to cry, but I think I would have called my lawyer. Clearly being stopped for a minor traffic offense does not constitute being arrested. What a fool that officer was.

I also would have argued in court that I stopped at the stop sign and even the officer admitted that by saying she didn't stop completely. But then I can be argumentative!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I just read an article about the California Supreme Court telling a mall owner that it cannot prevent people from approaching others in the mall's common area to chitchat. The mall had prohibited all conversations between strangers except about mall matters. The strange part was the case was precipitated by a pastor who stopped to talk to folks about his faith and who was placed under citizen's arrest by someone. On what charge, I wonder?

posted Hide Post
"Stop" means no forward movement. Synonym for "congress."

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

<Proofreader>
posted
After all, "congress" is the opposite of "progress."

The other day, a panelist on the Daiy Show said calling it the Constitution was too negative. To cast it in a more positive light we should rename it the Prostitution.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
The other day, a panelist on the Daiy Show said calling it the Constitution was too negative. To cast it in a more positive light we should rename it the Prostitution.

That was the one and only John Hodgman.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's funny. Smile
quote:
I just read an article about the California Supreme Court telling a mall owner that it cannot prevent people from approaching others in the mall's common area to chitchat.
Well, I don't know about Rhode Island, but in Chicago there are these people in the middle of the mall aisles who sell stuff, and continuously ask people, "Can I ask you a question?" I got hooked once (never again) because I thought he needed help. I ended up having lotion put on my hand and listening to how the ingredients were from some beautiful place. Never again.

So, I can sympathize with those who wish to make a citizen's arrest! In fact, what a good idea for the next time I'm at the mall and those people follow me around...asking, "Can I ask you a question?"

Then of course there's my husband who will ask any stranger, anywhere, anything. Roll Eyes Indeed, he overheard a conversation about philosophy in Portland and because of that we may have a new poster!

posted Hide Post
quote:

Then of course there's my husband who will ask any stranger, anywhere, anything. Roll Eyes Indeed, he overheard a conversation about philosophy in Portland and because of that we may have a new poster!

Was that in the hotel or in Powell's, or...?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
...In Jake's Grill . Nice place! They have excellent breakfasts.