Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Pity we have no New Zealanders on the board
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pity we have no New Zealanders on the board Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I watched a New Zealand episode of The Apprentice and I have a word usage question that I don't think anyone here will be able to answer.

The teams were creating a luxury organic shampoo and conditioner. One team went for a brand name of "Everyday" which didn't seem to carry the same implication that it would in the UK. An "everyday" product in the UK would be a cheap product, possibly of a generally lower quality.

Thoughts anyone?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should have made it sound more upscale by caling it Quotidian.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Would “everyday” carry the implication of ordinary, commonplace or inferior in the US?

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can certainly be used to mean that. The inferior part of it is in the eye of the beholder, I think.

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Definitely, to me an "everyday" shampoo and hair conditioner would be cheap, and certainly not luxurious.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post