Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ligature" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
I've been vaguely aware of the word ligature as meaning "a character consisting of two or more letters combined into one," such as æ or œ. But this meaning, in the local papers, was new to me.
    Ligature marks around her neck showed she had been strangled with a cord or piece of wire, Hawkins said, and an autopsy placed her death at about noon the day before.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It means "the act of tying or binding things together". Out of that, several meaning have arisen. See OneLook for starters.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Shu, because I hadn't known your definition. I had only known it from surgery to mean a strand of suture material used to "tie off" or seal blood vessels to prevent bleeding.

I just found this definition from music, too:

a '''ligature''' is a symbol that marks a set of musical notes which are to be played in such a way as to form a single musical phrase. As such, it is also known as a '''phrase mark''', and takes the form of a curved line extended over the notes.

I had no idea this word had so many uses.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
But this meaning, in the local papers, was new to me. _Ligature_ marks around her neck showed she had been strangled with a cord or piece of wire, Hawkins said, and an autopsy placed her death at about noon the day before.

Golly, Shu, I would have thought you'd have known that from the favorite song of the happy stranglers of S&M fame, Gaudeamus Ligature.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
The only meaning I knew for ligature before this discussion was the thingy that holds the reed to the mouth piece on a clarinet or saxophone. It's a brace-like thing . . . oh, here is a link.

So, with that reference from my own past, the news article would have made sense to me in a strangling incident.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The musical reference I found was 'A method of indicating the binding of notes into groups'. It can also refer to a monogram in writing or printing.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
When I think of ligatures, I think of certain groups of letters which have been connected in some way: e.g., ct, fi, fl, ß, æ, œ, etc.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I think of ligatures, I think of certain groups of letters which have been connected in some way: e.g., ct, fi, fl, ß, æ, œ, etc.

I still don't get it, jheem. Can you explain this more, please?

~Dalai Lama

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
CW, if you look at older printed books and pay attention to certain groups of letters like fi or fl, you'll see that they are not just and f and an i next to one another, but a fused single graph (in fact in the fi ligature there is not dot over the i). There's no way for me to represent the fi ligature in HTML, but the æ and the œ can be. Look at them. They're like a single letter rather than two letters next to one another. (See Wikipedia for a better explanation with pictures.)

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jheem:

My son, who is learning French, wants to know why they do this. Was it just for aesthetic reasons (as I suspect the fi ligature is), or were they to represent single vowel instead of two, or what?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting...the music buffs know it as a music term; the linguists see its association with letters; the medical people see it as suture material, the generally informed people see it as the "act of binding things together,"...and the murderers see it as stangling material!" Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation, jheem. It was very helpful.

Kalleh - I think it's interesting, too, how we each have a different perspective. Isn't that one of the most wonderful things about this world?

~Dalai Lama