Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Any Irish/Gaelic speakers here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Irish/Gaelic speakers here? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I need to learn how the Gaelic expression, anam cara is pronounced. It's written with a cedilla-like accent over the "c," but I can't find a pronouncing guide. BTW, the term means, "soul friend."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Irish Gaelic Translator has it as "anamchara = soul mate" and gives the pronunciation as /on-um-kor-ah/

The site also has an audio file giving the pronunciation.

Interestingly the most downloaded phrase from the site is "Póg mo thóin!" - Kiss my ass! - pronounced /pogue muh ho-in/.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Póg mo thóin
Well, I can see why! It is so much better than "kiss my ass"! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A prolific poster over at the snopes Urban Legends Message Board (http://www.ulrp.com/message/ultimatebb.php) uses the screen name "Pogue Mahone". I imagine he'd have been asked to use a different name if he'd used the English equivalent. Wink

I also imagine some radio stations would refuse to play their records if they knew the meaning of the name of the band called "The Pogues". Roll Eyes

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post