Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compromise Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Today I was listening to someone on NPR discussing Henry Clay's part in bringing about the Missouri Compromise. The speaker noted that the word meant a negotiated agreement rather than an abandonment of principles, as it now seems to mean. How do y'all use it? Why the change?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I do use it to mean "negotiated agreement." As part of my MBA course, I took a fascinating class in conflict resolution. There we learned the fine art of arriving at peaceable agreements with those with whom we are in conflict, that every disagreement does not have to be a zero-sum game, and that there are solutions to disagreements in which everyone can win.

Not that I've been able to apply this skill universally in every conflict in my life, but true compromise does live!

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have always been a great believer in compromise and to me it means a negotiated agreement where both parties negotiate. Inevitably there will be an element of give and take on both sides, but, as Wordmatic says, it is possible to reach a win/win solution in many instances.

However, there are a few instances where this is not possible. For example, I once had a man working for me who said, "The word 'compromise' isn't in my vocabulary". Meaning that he would never accept any agreement that involved his having to alter his initial stance.

Since it is an inevitable part of management to occasionally have to refuse to accept certain stances or requests, this chap was near enough impossible to manage effectively and, as had been the case in most of his previous jobs, he finally left. Eventually he set himself up as an independent consultant where he could argue only with himself.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Any agreement requires an element of compromise on both sides. The idea that to compromise is a sign of weakness is wrong-headed. There may be a crossover here with appeasement, which means giving concessions to one more powerful. Even those negotiating from a position of strength often compromise to reach a mutually satisfactory solution.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
[compromise] meant a negotiated agreement rather than an abandonment of principles
As a verb, 'compromise' is ambiguous. I've heard this saying, though Google doesn't reveal it on the web:
    It was a principled compromise, and not a principle compromised.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think of "compromise" as being a powerful word, and not a weak one. When people can really compromise, much can be gained. I think that little-minded people are the ones who don't compromise.

In looking up the word, I remembered the other definition that we use in nursing and medicine often, and that is an endangerment, such as to compromise one's health. It is disconcerting to see such a powerful word have such an opposite meaning as well.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote: have such an opposite meaning

I wonder how that arose?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
quote: have such an opposite meaning

I wonder how that arose?

We've discussed words with two opposite meanings, such as "cleave," but "compromise" has escaped scrutiny until now. In modern parlance, it seems a bad thing to compromise, apparently taking on the medical meaning that Kalleh stated. It seems to me we're losing a shade of meaning that no other word quite matches.

Yeah, yeah, curl your lip, snarl, and call me a prescriptivist, but such cases suggest to me that a bit of prescriptivism isn't such a bad thing! Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
You're right, Asa. "Negotiate" is similar, but "compromise" is where you arrive after you negotiate successfully, and thus a different word.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Unless we're talking about a "compromised immune system" or something similar, I just don't see "compromise" as a negative word, Asa. I actually see it quite positively, as I do "collaborate" (though the latter is overused, I think).

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
So if you ever find shu in a compromising position, that'll be a good thing, right? Wink

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And don't forget that in times of war "collaborate" is a very bad thing to do.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post