Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    just a little respectively
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

just a little respectively Login/Join

posted
Quick question that's always bugged me a little:

Is there any way to say the opposite of "respectively," as in, 'not the order given' or 'the reverse order given.'

One frequently says things like:

"I write limericks and ask questions of the OEDILF and Wordcraft, respectively." or "Jim, Bob, and Tom are the names of the writer, the drunkard, and the policeman, respectively."

Now, what if I wanted to say the opposite - "not respectively"...can this be done? Is there a word? Could I say that "Bob, Jim, and Tom are [...] but not in that order"?

"irrespectively" connotes a different meaning, unfortunately. Any thoughts?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I can't think of an antonym. Maybe it's just simply inferred that a list is random unless it is specifically mentioned that it is arranged respectively

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I looked up disrespectively, with high hopes, but it means disrespectful. Still, there should be a word for that!

Great question.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post