Loer Login/Join

posted
Hi. Can someone help resolve this discussion from OEDILF:

http://bbs.oedilf.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=333

Thanks!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Google yields ====> http://loer.tamug.tamu.edu/

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Quite weird. It's not in the 1st edition of the OED. It might be a mispelling, but I see it accounts for 3 translations in the LEO dictionary: Ach je, O je, and O Herr. At first I thought it might be a Scots interjection for "Lord!" but don't quote me. It is not an Old English word. Who knows?

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
LoudNotes, welcome to wordcraft! Smile Big Grin Cool Wink

Thanks for bringing something to us from OEDILF. If jheem doesn't know, I don't have a lot of hope of finding out! However, I will take it to my logophile friend to see if he can help. Would aput maybe know something about it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
The rendering 'O Herr' certainly suggests it's just a spelling variant of 'lor'. I don't know what the nuances of 'ach je' and 'O je' are, but perhaps in German 'O Herr' is stronger, and the other two are closer to the normal English use of 'oh lor'.

I wonder if the spelling <oer> is meant to represent the pronunciation [oə]. The old OED gives the pronunciations [lO:d] for 'lord' but [loə] for 'lore', so it's possible that clipping the [d] changed the vowel for some speakers (but OED show [lO:] for 'lor'). This distinction in vowels is no longer made -- 'lore' and 'lord' now have the same vowel.

Except in Scottish, where Chambers shows 'lord' as [lOrd] and 'lore' as [lor] or [lOr]. They list but don't transcribe 'lor'.

So that's all I can think of -- it's the ordinary exclamation 'lor', but with the vowel of 'lore', in some accent where the two vowels were different.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but, aput, it is strange to see a non-standard English word given as the sole definition in a bilingual dictionary.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
As to that, I'd guess they got it from some writer who used 'dialect' -- someone like Scott, perhaps; and given a translation of a work of his into German, thought this was a bona fide English word.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much for your investigation of this...I especially like the comment:

"the ordinary exclamation 'lor'"

Though it's not ordinary to me, I'll take that as the closest I can come. Fascinating, isn't it?