Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bumboat Login/Join

Picture of Graham Nice
posted
It was in Maigret book I was reading this morning (A Crime in Holland - one of the best) and made me laugh out loud to the puzzlement of the Kazakh students I was invigilating.

Is it a real word, or was the translator just having a laugh? Would the Americans call it a fannyboat? Was it derrierebateau in the original?

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham Nice:
It was in Maigret book I was reading this morning (A Crime in Holland - one of the best) and made me laugh out loud to the puzzlement of the Kazakh students I was invigilating.

Is it a real word, or was the translator just having a laugh? Would the Americans call it a fannyboat? Was it derrierebateau in the original?

quote:
bumboat
n. any small boat used for ferrying goods or supplies for sale to a ship at anchor or at a mooring.

Apparently it's from the Dutch boomschip - canoe.

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
And perhaps haberdasher will remind us of a certain bumboat woman? (I'd forgotten that her name is Mrs. Cripps, for she's much better known by her nickname.)

posted Hide Post
Aye, Little Buttercup – and well called – for you're the rosiest, the roundest, and the reddest beauty in all Spithead.

Smile

Posts: 150 | Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And, here's a reference to it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post