Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Promethian Login/Join

posted
In digging through one of the still unshelved boxes of books I brought with me to Indiana I unearthed one entitled, Promethian Ethics.
That got me to wondering how people view the term, "Promethian" today. I've heard it as meaning any large-scale activity sans regard to what Promethius is said to have done for humankind. Given that his name means, "Forethinker," it seems he's not much appreciated in this "gotta have it now" world. How do you hear it used - IF you hear it at all?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't use the word promethean, but in reading about it, I think I should! I rather like the meaning, which of course relates to to Prometheus: "boldly creative" or "defiantly original." Wow! I'd like to be like that. Maybe it describes Steve Jobs?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I've never used it either. I've seen it written a few times, though, usually in the phrase "promethean thinker" or similar.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good grief! I've just learned that "The Other Site" posted about Prometheus today! Have they been reading WC???

It also seems to me that the christian story borrows heavily from the Prometheus story. I
suppose some of the better educated Jews of that era might have read it and mixed their messianic tale with that of the ancient Greeks.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I suppose some of the better educated Jews of that era might have read it and mixed their messianic tale with that of the ancient Greeks.

Well, I don't know, but they all probably read and wrote Greek which was the official language of the (eastern) Roman Empire. Also not sure if the myth of Prometheus had a direct impact on what later became early Christianity, or if the folkloric motifs were just "in the air".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've just learned that "The Other Site" posted about Prometheus today! Have they been reading WC???
What other site?

When I see current events being reported, or even reports from meetings I attend, I seriously wonder how accurate some of our historical reports are.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
What other site?

The words site which Dale's protocols forbid him to mention.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, Dale's protocols. Well, I'm lost, but then I often am. Wink

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm lost

I sent you a PM with the solution.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, it has been 10 years since we started Wordcraft because of certain activities on AWAD, so I don't have any qualms in mentioning it here. Ten years is a long time. Neither Geoff nor I post there, so I didn't think he meant there, but he was talking about AWAD's word a day.

Anywho...while I don't use the word Promethean, the dictionaries seem to define it as "creative" or "original."