Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rubbing your nose Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My daughter and I were talking, and I happened to rub my nose. She then accused me of lying, saying that rubbing your nose means you're lying. I've not heard that before, have you? I tried to find something about it on the Internet, but couldn't. Heck, I just had an itchy nose!

For the record, we were just having fun...this wasn't a huge argument or anything.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I've never heard that. But here's what I found:
quote:
Are They Lying to You?
We have erectile tissues in our noses, which engorge with blood when we lie. This causes a tingling or itching sensation that requires a nose touch to satisfy. The absence of a nose touch doesn't guarantee truth, but the presence of a nose touch often means deception. Of course, sometimes a person will touch his or her nose because of a non-deceptive cause, such as a cold. With some practice, you can quickly learn to distinguish a deceptive nose touch from something innocent.

quote:
How to Tell If He Is Lying to You by His Hand Movements?
Be aware of nose touching. Ever since Pinocchio's wooden nose sprouted as he lied, the nose has been tied to truth telling. The Entrepreneur website reports that the continual rubbing or touching of the nose may be an indication that an individual is lying. This source reports that tissues in the nose may begin to itch when an individual is lying, leading the liar to rub the itchy area--and inadvertently expose his lying behavior. For some superstitious liars, a touch of the nose could be an attempt to ensure that their snout, like Pinocchio's, is not sprouting as lies spew from their mouths.

That first link is from an "expert," so it must be true. He even wrote a book on it, which I'm sure you'll want to run out and buy. He's interviewed on 2 videos below. In the 2nd video this "expert in deception awareness" mentions the "nose rub."

The second link pertains specifically to men, so you might want to watch Shu.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ken Osborn is the founder and executive director of The CIA Institute in Corona, California.
I wonder what "CIA" stands for? I see he's got an AOL email address, which doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
. . . which doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Were you rubbing your nose when you said that?
CIA Institute is Communicative Interactive Awareness Institute. Now are you impressed?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
CIA Institute is Communicative Interactive Awareness Institute. Now are you impressed?

If anything, even less impressed. That title is meaningless verbiage.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pinocchio's girlfriend's favorite song was "Tell Me Lies, Tell Me Sweet Little Lies" Eek Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glen Le Lievre cartoon: "Lie to me again."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I hadn't thought of Pinnochio. Of course! I think I owe my daughter an apology.

Today I walked into someone's office and she said, "Your ears must be burning. We were talking about you." Noses, ears...we do get physical, don't we?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post