Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

inactivist Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In a letter to the editor of The Oregonian concerning a Jewish mother's decision not to have the moyle do his thing, the writer referred to her an an "inactivist." An editorial comment stated that "inactivist," according to the Urban Dictionary, is "one who participates in an activist group or is an individual for the rights of children to remain genitally intact." This doesn't make sense to me. Help!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Obviously an attempt to circumscribe circumcision

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"one who participates in an activist group or is an individual for the rights of children to remain genitally intact."

I think the editor needs to work a little harder. The UD defines inactivist as "One who half-heartedly supports a cause without actually doing anything, by signing the occasional online petition or putting a banner on their myspace." Googling inactivist seems to support this definition. The Wikipedia article on genital integrity doesn't use the word inactivist (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When did mohel become moyle?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
When did mohel become moyle?

When the brit milah became the bris. Hebrew מוהל is pronounced moyl in Ashkenazic Hebrew and Yiddish. Many Hebrew words have two major pronunciations depending on whether the speaker is using Sephardic or Ashkenazic pronunciation. For example shabbat vs shabbes, torah vs toyre, etc.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:

I think the editor needs to work a little harder.

Good! I thought I was missing something regarding the object of the prepus-ition.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
< groans at pun >

. . .A man is walking down the street in New York City when he comes across a shop with clocks and watches hanging in the front window. He walks in and says to the man behind the counter, "My watch stopped a couple days ago. I'd like you to fix it."
. . .The shopkeeper replies incredulously, "I don't repair watches, I'm a mohel!"
. . ."Then why do you have all those watches and clocks hanging in your window?"
. . .The mohel replies, "What would you suggest I hang there?"

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
A man went to visit his buddy who was recuperating in the hospital. His buddy had just become a Jew and a mohel had circumcised him.
As the man entered the room, he noticed nurses coming and going, stopping at the bed, checking bandages, reassuring his friend and leaving.
"Wow," he said. "Looks like you're really popular with the girls."
"Yes," said the patient. "It all started when they learned it took twenty-eight stitches to repair the mohel's work."

posted Hide Post
When I first saw the word "inactivist" and the context it was being used in, my first thought was it described someone who was an activist by doing nothing, someone who remained inactive when there was something that normally would be done.
I suppose another, less-political example would be the person who protests the commercialization of Christmas by not putting up Christmas lights when everyone else on the street does.

Posts: 29 | Location: Vanderhoof, B.C.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've never understood that "inactivist" attitude about circumcision, if we're talking about a baby, that is. I suppose if it's an older child I could understand it. Asa, wasn't there a Supreme Court decision about that in Oregon?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I don't know about any court decisions, but there's been a good deal of hubbub about it here for some time. That, and naked bicycling. Ah, Portland... Roll Eyes

Oh, wait - yeah, this is what you were referring to: http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/05/dad_app...n_sons_circumci.html

<Proofreader>
posted
Is there some cnnnection between naked bicycling and circumcision?

I’m back biking bare-ass again
Through Portland’s downpouring rain
The mohel trimmed me so
When I’m on the go
Nothing can catch in the chain

Maybe this will help with "inactivism."
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YmQ1ZDNhOTA4OTYwOW...MTQ5N2MyOWNiYzdlMTM=

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there some cnnnection between naked bicycling and circumcision?

Well, my mind is boggling ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
If nothing can catch in the chain, he's either riding a recumbent, or he's AWFULLY well-equipped! Eek

As for the connection, it's just that Portland is weird enough to have both naked cyclists and circumcision debates. Roll Eyes

PS: That Goldberg article is a hoot!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, wait - yeah, this is what you were referring to
Yes, Asa.

That was one of the very few Goldberg articles that I actually enjoyed. Usually I am ready to lynch him! Mad

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post