Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wealth Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
After watching an interview with David Korten, author of "When Corporations Rule the World," http://www.pcdf.org/corprule/corporat.htm I began to wonder what most people think of when they see the term, "wealth." What is it to you?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think of it as a broader term than just being the "quest for money." Wealth can also mean having more than adequate material things, such as luxury homes, designer clothing, Mercedes cars, etc. Interestingly, here is what Wikipedia says about it:
quote:
The concept of wealth is of great importance in economics, especially development economics, yet the meaning of wealth is not straightforward and there is no universally agreed-upon definition.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think of wealth as being the acquisition and possession of material things.
Of course metaphorical extension to the acquisition of non-material things, "spiritual wealth" if you like, is perfectly possible.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Being wealthy is having the ability to crush all opposition.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Proofreader, remind me NOT to have you behind me at a traffic light! Big Grin

Since the "states" of the USA number forty-six, plus four commonwealths, there must have been a specific intent of those four non-states that made them choose such an appellation.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Wealth is having everything you need and everything you want, and never having to worry that the money is going to run out. Of course, wealth may also mean a plenitude of intangibles having nothing to do with money or things, such as a wealth of knowledge, or a wealth of friends.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris Rock on being rich versus being wealthy: "Shaquille O'Neal is rich; the white man who signs his paycheck is wealthy.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Being wealthy is having the ability to crush all opposition.

This is merely a comment I'd heard on the subject.
If I were wealthy, I would be kind, benevolent, philanthorpic and caring to all the decadent lower classes groveling at my feet for the crumbs off my table.

posted Hide Post
Wealth is embedded value.

Create a work of art, invent a new technology, discover a new idea or a new land...

All of those are wealth.

Very important implications -- It is the key to "going Galt." (I trust this erudite group is familiar with the concept: the productive parts of society go on strike when taxes grow too punitive.)

The productive man can continue to create wealth in the deferred sense, storing up value but not "realizing" it in a way that can be taken from him.

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
There's a downside for those who are wealthy.
Since their gold is the goal of crooks stealthy.
Every con and his honey
Is after their money
And cons' games may not leave them too healthy.

posted Hide Post
Yes, which is why so many cultures-in-diaspora (think Greeks and Armenians, overseas Chinese, and Jews) value learning. So much harder to steal, so much more portable than land...

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wealth is having everything you need and everything you want, and never having to worry that the money is going to run out.
Not sure I agree. You can lose your wealth, too, as happened in 1929.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Ah, but it is wealth while you have it. When it's gone, well, it's "unwealth," I guess.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
All that ample wealth really gives you is choices. The more wealth, the more choices. It's the choices you take and the way you use those choices that determines your happiness and life worth.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Richard, you say the wisest things. Smile

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Stella. Posting corrected for minor typo.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

The productive man can continue to create wealth in the deferred sense, storing up value but not "realizing" it in a way that can be taken from him.

Sounds downright biblical. Good points, though. Thanks,RA.