Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bagged Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
My daughter, a lawyer for a pharmaceutical company, asked me what is meant when a nurse writes, "The patient was bagged" - except that I heard it as, The patient was "bad." I kept telling her it didn't mean anything special - either the patient's condition was bad or the patient was behaving poorly. Apparently this was written in one of the briefs she was reading. It wasn't until the end of the conversation when she said, "You do understand that I am saying b-a-g (spelling it out), don't you?" Of course, I hadn't and then it was easy. A patient being bagged means that they are using something similar to an Ambu bag to ventilate the patient.

So, my question? Isn't it a little strange that within our family, each of us living in the Chicago area, we have different pronunciations (accents?) of a pretty common word?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd have guessed that the patient was dead and put in a body-bag.

I suspect it's partly a generation 'thing'. Parents will often misunderstand their children, and vice versa.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
arnie, I suppose that kind of "bagging" would be possible, too. Eek

You think it's generational? Maybe, but I think it might be more than that because my daughter is a huge authority on correct pronunciation - or at least she thinks she is. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post