Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sequacious Login/Join

posted
No other reason to post this word other than I saw it today and liked it.

What do you think it is about a certain word that just catches you? Part of me think it's got something to do with that bimodal synesthetic abstraction where the sound and shape of the word causes emotion and meaning in the viewer. I dunno, what do you think?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean, Timbo, and I am not sure why certain words catch my eye. Perhaps it's more the sound for me. For example, I just love the word "balderdash," though instead of meaning "nonsense," I think it should mean "darn!" I often say "balderdash!" when I am frustrated, and I suppose it doesn't make much sense.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think some words just feel better on my tongue than others. I've always loved multisyllabic words, in particular. I also tend to enjoy alliteration.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
For example, I just love the word "balderdash," though instead of meaning "nonsense," I think it should mean "darn!" I often say "balderdash!" when I am frustrated, and I suppose it doesn't make much sense.

Maybe, for less erudite minds than yours Kalleh, balderdash used for 'darn', reminds the user of BALLS — that is as a mild expletive. Big Grin

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post