Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pairing Login/Join

posted
I can understand why pants, with their bifurcated nature, are referred to as a pair of pants. But why do we refer to a pair of underwear, given that the only doublet is holes?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
And why don't we talk about a pair of brassieres?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
I can understand why _pants,_ with their bifurcated nature, are referred to as a _pair_ of pants. But why do we refer to a _pair_ of underwear, given that the only doublet is holes?

Historical, I should imagine.

Posts: 150 | Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
And why don't we talk about a pair of brassieres?
Interesting point, Richard. By the way, we say "bra" in the U.S. Is the term "brassiere" in the U.K.?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since "brassiere" comes from the French word meaning "arm," it would stand to reason that one would refer to them as a pair. After all, we Do say "a pair of arms," or "a pair of [bra contents]," so it's a goofy thing to have brassiere be in the singular. Maybe the inventor was a mammary gland cyclops or something.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either is used. Bra is an abbreviation but like so many other abbreviations (phone, fax, bus, plane) have now been accepted as words in their own right.

The apostrophe that righfully belongs in 'bus and 'phone is usually absent.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The apostrophe that righfully belongs in 'bus and 'phone is usually absent
Usually? I have never seen an apostrophe in phone or bus (what is the real name?) or any of those words. My mother's generation used the word "brassiere", but it is almost never used anymore.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Omnibus, abbreviation 'bus; Telephone, abbreviation 'phone.

Both abbreviations have now become words in their own right although the OED still refers to them as abbreviations and it is thus still correct to use the apostrophe.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
[QUOTE]My mother's generation used the word "brassiere", but it is almost never used anymore.[SIC] Smile

In NL, it's called a beha, the pronunciation of the abbreviation of BH (busten houder, or breast holder).

Mama always calls it a brassière. But she's 75.

Posts: 150 | Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I thought the Dutch term was Keepumfrumfloppen - or is that German?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oops, just lost my sanity for a moment. I do wonder if the actual German term, "brusthalter," - if mammary memory serves me well- might have given us the "halter top?" In any case, once again it's singular.